“Buddy…seems you went out of your way…are you ok?

            I didn’t answer…because honestly I don’t know what to answer.  Am I ok or not? I looked at Elise and I saw her smile.  I want to smile back but it seems I don’t have the energy to do so. 

            “Come inside Alex…I think you are tired”, Elise said full of understanding in her eyes.

 JZ looked at me in the eyes and without uttering any words take me in his arms.  I felt like a little child who is lost and finds someone who can defend me and take me home.  I clung to my friend and my tears flow again.  Aside from my family JZ is one person whom I know I can count on to.  He never judged me, he always understands.  Many times I have problems that I come here and he and his wife never asked why.  They just opened their home to me and comforted me without questions.

            “Alex, as what I have told you many times before…life can never be a bed of roses always.  You need to be strong buddy,” I heard him telling me while he is rubbing my back.

            Few minutes later, he guided me inside.  We sat on the comfortable rattan chair. We sat there in silence while Elise went to the kitchen.  After a while, she went back carrying a steaming bowl of soup and some fresh bread and chicken.

            “I think you need to eat.  I know you…” she stated. 

            If I am not in this kind of state of mind, I won’t let Elise lecture me to eat…I would readily grab the bowl and consume everything.  Elise is a good cook, no doubt about that.  But right now, even her most delicious menu is not appealing to me.

            “I don’t have appetite Elise.  Thank you but I don’t want to eat.”

            “Alex, in every problem there is always a solution.  But solution does not come easily.  You need to think...you need to act.  But how can you think straight if your mind is already dizzy because you are hungry.  It’s only your mind that tells you that you don’t have appetite, your body actually needs nourishment to stay strong.”

            Elise is correct buddy…eat so you can think straight and make good and wise decisions.  We will talk about it later,” JZ seconded.

            I don’t want to argue with the couple so I ate a little of the soup.  My mind is still somewhere else when JZ’s phone ring.  He excused himself and went to the kitchen to answer it.  After a while he returned and he seemed to be worried.

            “Darling are you ok?” Elise asked disturbed of his husband’s facial expression.

            “I need to talk to Alex alone. Hope you don’t mind my love’” JZ answered.  I felt an odd feeling building inside my chest.  Elise understand and nodded to me before exiting towards the kitchen.

            “What is it Buddy?” I asked anxiously.

            “Alex…Pete called.  They are looking for you.”

            “Did you told him I’m here?”

            “No… because I know you need time to be alone.”

            I looked at JZ and smiled weakly.

            “Thank you bud..”

            “But Alex…your father left a message for you.  He told me that if ever you call me or you will drop by here, I will tell you to go to Saint Vincent Pediatric  Center immediately.  They need you there.”

            “Pediatric Center? But that is a hospital for children…what are they doing there?” I asked very confused.

            “He did not elaborate but he said your nephew is in a critical condition.”

            “Nephew? Who’s nephew?  I don’t have a nephew yet.  We are all unmarried.”

            “I don’t know…but I think your Dad is very worried and I can hear your Mom’s crying when they called me.”

            I am so confused…if this is their bait to bring me home, why are they in a children’s hospital? And who is the nephew they are talking about?

            “I don’t understand what is happening Buddy…”

            “Then why you will not call them?  If this is really true, I think you have to hurry up.”

            Mixed emotions are battling in my heart.  I’m still hurting because of Mara and Cesar’s betrayal and now here comes another problem.  But I’m also so confused as well as curious if who is in the hospital? Who is the nephew that JZ is talking about?

            “ I think I need to go Bud…I will return tomorrow.”

            “Ok…no problem.  Just call if you need me.”

            I hugged JZ and bid farewell to Elise. My mind is still in turmoil but now…for many different reasons.  Who is in the hospital????

__________________________________________

Hey guys...Mara and Alex will come face to face again in the next chapter...full of tears...full of joy...keep reading and keep voting...love you to the bone :-)Boss