Chapter 15

Staring into his eyes, I said the one thing I could. "You're beautiful." I hoped he believed it. It was nothing but the truth.

The two of us let the silence that followed engulf us. He didn't need words of consolation right now. All he needed was someone to be there. Someone who wouldn't judge him or treat him any differently. Our pocket of silence was interrupted by a knock at the door.

"Michael? We gotta go, do you need anything?" Karen asked from outside. He didn't answer verbally, just pushed open the door to let her in. Sympathy burned in her eyes as she took in the scene, pulling out the makeup kit she always carried with her. I sat in the corner, watching as the makeup formed a mask that Michael could hide behind. A mask that very few people had ever seen beneath. Each brush stroke gave him a little more confidence and with the help of laughter and smiles, Michael was back to normal.

"Need a ride back?" he asked me when all was finished. I nodded, assuming Teagan had already found her way to the hotel. We gathered our things and made our way to the line of cars that still waited outside. The press had arrived like sharks at the end of the show, waiting to catch Michael as he left the arena. Some of them had left, giving up hope the longer it took, but some were still there, lurking at a distance. His appearance set them off like fireworks and they buzzed around frantically to get their equipment together.

Each of them called his name, trying to get his attention, and hoping for a few words. They got none, so they moved to me. Cameras flashing, voices yelling, my heart was racing. A hand reached out from behind the lights, grabbing my wrist as we passed. One of his guards separated the reporter from me and Michael turned to face them, his voice rumbling above the shouts. "Leave her alone." he demanded. They had no intention of doing so. Michael grabbed me by the arm and we sprinted the short distance to the car. It's door enclosed us in a small bubble of safety and Michael relaxed.

As the vehicles pulled away, Michael stared out of the tinted window. His eyes were locked on a flock of birds high up in the sky. They swooped and danced in the wind as one entity. I watched them too, looking for the secrets their pattern contained.

"When I was a kid, I used to dream of flight." Michael spoke, still keeping his eyes trained on the birds. "When you look at them, they seem so free. The wind shifts through their feathers and nothing can stop them, not even gravity. I was jealous of the birds and their freedom... I still am. I want to be up there; color the clouds and paint the sky. How wonderful it would be, if only we could fly." The birds vanished from our view and Michael's eyes met mine. "I've realised something, though, watching these birds... Our thoughts are as free as the universe, they go wherever we desire. When we allow our minds to explore the unknown spectacles this world has to offer, our spirits soar just as high." His smile was confident and joyous in discovering that there was more than one way to achieve flight, but something in his eyes hesitated, not so willing to accept this as the final answer. Something was still amiss. He would find the answer in time, but for now he was satisfied with this.

The cars pulled into the backlot of the hotel, dropping us off at the entrance to the kitchens and we climbed out. Before splitting to head our separate ways, Michael called my name. I paused and turned to meet him. "I'm going to another hospital tomorrow before the show... will you join me?" he asked.

A smile graced my lips and I answered with, "I'd love to." He straightened up at my reply, happy to have someone to share the adventure with.

My walk back to the room seemed a lonely one after everything that had happened today. London was proving to be quite the eventful city. Teagan sat slowly spinning in the desk chair when I walked in. The tv played muted on the news channel, watching the stories that followed the tour. "Well, it's about time you showed up." she complained. "Where on earth have you been?"

I didn't quite know how to answer that. The tv did, though. On the screen played footage of Michael and I running to the cars. "You really aren't good at this, are you? Quinn, we just got you out of the media's focus, then you go and get caught alone with him. Now we're back to square one." Teagan groaned, spinning once more in the chair. "You're a hopeless cause, really."

All I could do was shake my head and smile. She was right. I looked her dead in the eye and gave in to the struggles of the day. "I need a drink."

Teagan stopped her revolutions, nearly leaping from the chair. "Now that is something I can help you with."