Chapter 13

Four nights in four different cities led to the biggest show of the European tour; Wembley Stadium in London. We would be here for an entire week, five shows in total. I struggled to keep the door ajar as we shoved our luggage through the door, a long sigh leaving our lips as the door closed behind us. At our feet sat a page of hotel paper that had been shoved beneath the door, Michael's writing scrawled onto it. I picked it up to take a closer look.

The three of us need to talk. It said, then at the bottom corner was the number 1325. I flipped it over to show Teagan the note. She took it from my hand, eyebrows furrowing in confusion as she read. We pressed our suitcases against the wall and made our way to the room number written on the paper. His door was already open when we arrived.

Michael paced around the table that held the room's phone, tethered by the chord to a small radius. "They're here." he said into the phone. "Yes, yes. Diana, I'll see you in a few days." he finished, hanging up the phone. I froze for a moment, shocked by the identity on the other end of the line. Princess Diana.

Spending time with Michael, it was easy to forget who he was sometimes... it was easy to forget that in a sense, he was none other but a king. The weight of that title rest heavy on his shoulders today. He looked up at us apologetically, words following. "I'm so sorry..." His voice trailed. We hadn't the time to ask why before he turned on the tv and the news answered for us. "Jacko spotted sneaking around with two groupies in Rome." read the headline as the picture somebody had flashed as we got out of the car crossed the screen. Teagan's face had avoided exposure but mine was seen clearly behind Michael as he reached for the fallen scarf.

My eyes closed, focusing only on the news we had just received. This picture had just launched me into his world. All eyes were on me. Who was I? Where was I from? What did I want? All were asking, some were answering to their own accord. Hundreds of people trying to decide who I was.

"We can make a statement." Teagan suggested. "Tell the press that we're staff for the show."

Michael nodded. "It may not be enough... truth doesn't sell... but it's worth a shot."

Thus it was arranged for us to send in a statement that explained the truth of the matter, answering all the questions that broiled in the minds of the spectator. Until then, all we could do was wait and watch as the rumors twisted. Rumors that spread like wildfire. We hadn't been back to the room for but an hour when I got a call from my sister.

"Quinn!" she demanded when I picked up the phone. "Thought you said you weren't seeing anyone." Ashley grumbled, slightly offended that I had kept this a secret from her.

"Ash, I promise it's nothing. Michael and I are friends. Simple as that." I assured. She wasn't convinced.

"Nothing around that man is simple. Be careful, okay?" she pleaded.

"Okay." I agreed and she hung up the phone. I lay back in bed, letting the phone fall where it was. Thoughts of unknown happenings haunted my brain until finally they quieted enough for me to get some sleep. I hoped it would all blow over by morning, but unfortunately the world wasn't that kind.

The press statement was the following morning and dozens of cameras waited at the ready, eager to catch a new story to tell. We agreed that myself, and Michael would be the only ones to speak. Teagan's face never found public eye and she had no intention of changing that.

Practiced under the pressure of the cameras, Michael was the first to go. He stepped up to the reporter who would be leading this interview. His manager, Frank, paced beside us, a cigar burning between his lips. This interview had a lot riding on it. My reputation wasn't the only thing on the line. Michael needed to appear single and available, he couldn't be seen wandering about with 'groupies'.

"Michael," The interviewer began, hushing the crowd. "I think I speak for all the ladies in the world when I ask you this; Are the rumors true? Has one lucky lady taken your heart?"

Michael smiled, a hint of mischief flickering in his eyes. The kind that said he wanted to play along, send all the reporters and tabloids scurrying after a story that never existed in the first place. Luckily, he didn't. "No." he answered and I relaxed. "I went to see the city with a couple friends, both were members of the crew for the tour. When you're someone like me, you don't get out much, so given the chance, I took it. There's no privacy out there. These tabloids will do anything for a story, no matter how outlandish it is. I let my guard down and now it's blown out of proportions." he explained.

"You hear that, everyone?" The reporter addressed the camera now, speaking to the thousands who were watching. "The king of pop still has some TLC to give to you PYTs." He smirked and Michael left the scene, then the man continued. "But first, let's get the story from the woman herself, we'll see if his denial holds true."

My stage manager nudged me forward and I sat where Michael had been moments before. The light from the cameras blinded me as I looked around, taking in all the eyes focused on me. My fists clenched and I swallowed hard. I was not built for the spotlight.

"We heard it from Michael that you work for the tour." he started, drawing my attention to him. It was easier when I only looked at him. I could pretend the world wasn't listening. "What do you do for it?"

"I'm a spotlight operator." I answered quickly, voice cracking slightly. My heart was racing and it took all of my being to keep myself from shaking out of nerves.

"How did you end up with Michael the night this photo was taken?" the reporter questioned.

I sat a moment, trying to recall how it all happened. "On tour, you're with the same people day in and day out. On some days we're stuck with each other for sixteen hours of the twenty-four in a day." I clasped my hands together, holding together what little confidence I had left in me. "And Michael... he's the humblest guy I've ever met. We're a family, all of us, Michael included. In Rome, we were just a few night owls trying to enjoy life. He learns from us and we learn from him. It's a marvelous sense of friendship that not many people experience in their lifetimes. Michael and I are just good friends, that's all." I admitted, praying that would be the end of it.