Part 5- Samurai on the horizon

It would seem only natural for the samurai to turn up on Verana's shores after Shade took charge. It was known of the samurai to send warriors to make peace with new leaders, and given the number of samurai warriors, most leaders were more than happy.

So when the guards on Verana's coast saw an incoming samurai ship, they didn't think much of it.

Once the ship landed, two warriors, a
Scizor and a Heracross, got off and greeted Verana's guards with great politeness. Some samurai didn't speak the same language as the knights, but lucky for the knights, the two sent by the samurai this time did.
"Welcome to Verana, ruled by the newly appointed lord Shade. If you would kindly follow us, we will take you to the palace. He's been expecting your arrival."
One knight told the visitors, getting them to nod and follow the knight to Shade's palace. Shade, being 18 for just a week, wasn't into formal meetings and preferred enforcing his rules. His age didn't stop him from ruling with an iron paw. He had been in power for one week and already had 75 Pokemon killed for refusing to accept him as their ruler.

The two samurai stood before Shade who looked at them inquiringly.
"Lord Shade, we come here on behalf of our daimyo to formally ensure peace between our nations."
The Scizor told him.
"Very well. I'm afraid that a different matter has to be addressed first. When are you due to return to your daimyo?"
Shade asked.
"Tomorrow, lord Shade."
The Heracross replied.
"I will allow you to stay here overnight under my guards' supervision and we can arrange our agreement tomorrow."
Shade told them.
"Yes, lord Shade."
Shade nodded.
"You may do as you wish while I attend this matter, under my knights' supervision, that is. Seramon, I am putting you in charge if the palace until I return."
Seramon nodded.
"Yes, my lord."
He replied, nodding.

That night, after Shade and most of his security force was asleep, both samurai got together.
"Remember our instruction. Find evidence to prove Shade is unfit to rule and exploit it."
The Scizor advised. The Heracross nodded.
"Of course. Move quickly and silently. If you find anything, find me and we can leave. There will be no peace with this tyrant. Only his downfall can bring peace."

Both samurai stuck to the shadows, incapacitating guards when there was no alternative. Neither had found anything useful until they bumped into each other accidentally.
"Look. A bookshelf. Maybe there's something useful there."
The Heracross suggested. The Scizor agreed and they both began to scan the shelves. Halfway though the search, the Scizor accidentally knocked a book off the shelf, causing it to fall and hit the wooden floor, piercing the silence throughout the palace. Both samurai held still for seconds, not hearing any footsteps afterward. Both went back to scanning the shelves until they both heard it; there was someone right behind them, advancing quickly. As they both turned around, Shade pushed the Scizor into the bookshelf, plunging a dagger into his lower right side. The Zoroark's eyes were glowing as he grinned sinisterly.
"I knew you couldn't be trusted, and I knew you wouldn't trust me."
All the Heracross could do was watch in horror as his companion was slowly bleeding to death in Shade's grasp.
"You samurai were always so predictable. That's how the Ornera empire crushed you so easily generations ago. Some things never change."

In fact it was true; 70 years ago, the Ornera empire invaded and occupied the samurai land of Tanashima, only being driven out 54 years later due to increasing opposition to Ornera's rule in their land which eventually lead to a successful counter attack.

The Scizor desperately reached for a dagger on his left, eventually reaching it and stabbing Shade in the leg. Shade grabbed his leg and stumbled back. The Scizor fell to the ground.
"Run..."
He told his companion. The Heracross stood firm.
"I won't leave you. I'm taking you with me!"
He replied, getting the Scizor to Shake his head.
"I'll just slow you down. Besides, I'll never make it."
Shade began to regain his composure.
"Now go!"
The Scizor lunged at Shade as Shade prepared for his attack, pulling the dagger out of his leg. As the Heracross ran, he looked back to see Shade overpower the Scizor and cut his throat with his own dagger. He then felt as if it was his duty to avenge his fallen ally. The Heracross managed to reach his ship, acting like nothing was wrong in front of the guards. He escaped just before the guards were any wiser about why he was alone, but they were too late. The Heracross was too far out at sea to chase down.

Shade was both happy and angry. He had stopped one samurai, but the other had gotten away, and Shade didn't know what he had found. If he had found something that could be used against Shade, then his rule would be at risk of being cut short. Shade wished to avoid that at all costs.

The next morning, the samurai were aware of what happened, and were equally afraid the knights would try to attack them. They set up defences along the coast, hoping to repel them on the beaches. The knights under Blaze were known for their tactics on capturing and securing a beachfront.

It looked as though another war was at hand, one last battle for Verana's respected and slightly feared army. Under a ruler like Shade, their tactics would be a lot more effective as Shade wouldn't let them fail. As the samurai lay in waiting, the knights prepared. They planned to use their reputation and numbers to their advantage and overthrow the samurai quickly and efficiently. Shade wanted to be on the scene for all of it. It would be his first time conquering a nation as a leader, but it would also quite possibly be his last.