Chapter Nine

With the thump of my heart racing against my chest, the minutes flew by. Soon the Royalty would arrive. My heart sinks to the bottom of my chest.

There was a multitude of possibilities of everything that could go wrong; I'm counting on the small percentage that won't.

"Ali?" I peek over the railing on the stairway.

"Oh hey, Jae." I say, trying to sound nonchalant. "Did my dad tell you?"

"About the royalty coming?" He looks over to me, pity written all over that well-kept face. "Yeah, listen Ali.."

I raise my eyebrows, waiting for him to confess some big secret. "I knew about it, the whole origin thing." He watches my reaction, running his fingers through sandy blonde locks. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you, we were sworn not to."

"Oh," I say dumbfoundedly. "Do you know that I'm probably going to be leaving with them?" He nods slowly and I feel my heart sink. "I guess their little "Heir" won't be so pure, I'm mean, I'm pregnant with some bastard's child."

I wince and I can't tell if it's because I said that I was pregnant outloud or called my mate bastard. "Wow, I feel pathetic just saying it outloud." I admit.

"Ali.." I raise my hand as if to stop him, but he keep going. "You're not pathetic, he is- was your mate. Don't blame yourself," he looks at me with those big blue hues that make me want to melt in his arms and cry like a child."

"I'm scared, Jae." I say slowly, he nods knowingly, brushing a lock of hair from my face and pinning it behind my ear.

"You have every right to be," He smiles suddenly, "But hey, at least you'll be eating enough for two," as if realizing what he said, he tries catching himself but I just shake my head.

"It's fine, I do need to eat for two. I'm no longer just thinking about me," I remind him, pressing my palm to my stomach.

"You'll be a good mom, don't think too much about what others may say." I laugh softly, nodding up at him.

"I guess only time will tell," I look over to my wall, looking at the time. Balls, we were going to be late. "Hurry, we've got to make it to the packhouse."

Together, bickering the whole way, we somehow manage to make it to the packhouse. It was full of sweaty, rude werewolves, clearly not happy with having to see royal assholes.

"I've got to go find my father, do you want to come with me to find your's?" Jae asks, gently pulling my hand with his.

I shrug, "Probably wouldn't hurt." I manage to say above the howling crowd. "I'll follow you."

I hesitantly drop his hand, watching as his sturdy frame disappears into the sea of werewolves. "Goddess," I curse before plunging into the mass chaos head first.

Tailing a little ways behind Jae, we manage to find our fathers. My father stands erect beside our Alpha and a man dressed in a crisp, new suit the color of the deepest pits of the ocean.

"Father," Jae greets Alpha James, who gave him a look of approval. Mine on the other hand offered me a look of scorn.

"Alice," Alpha James says my name as though smelling thick oil after eating strawberries.

"Alpha," I reply, being as curt as possible. I wasn't an uncivilized human but I wasn't all that enthused about speaking to him.

"My daughter," my father smiles down at me, spreading his arms wide open as though to make a point, "Meet Edwig, the Queen's personal ambassador."

I nod at the man and he returns the gesture, his kempt reddish beard tickling his tie.

"A pleasure," he says, reaching to shake my hand. I offer mine up, though a little hesitant.

As my hand is cupped by his I feel a sort of spark, but not the kind I want to lean into like the other night. His muddy brown eyes flash crazily.

"Tell me, Alice, how old are you?" I raise an eyebrow.

"I am nearly seventeen, sir." I look at him oddly, "Why do you ask?" My pulse quickens, fearful that he may know who I am.

"Nothing, dear." He gives me an off-put reassuring smile.

I shiver but manage to keep my own smile plastered to my face. Alpha James continues on with the introductions, motioning to his own son and heir.

"This is my son and future alpha, Jaered, but most call him Jae." Jae flashes the ambassador a dashing smile.

He shakes hands with Jae and motions for our fathers to step aside, commenting that he needs a private word with alpha and beta.

Left to ourselves, I share my fears with Jae. "When we shook hands-"

"You felt a spark, didn't you? I saw the look on your face and his." My face crumpled at his words.

"You know what this means, don't you?" I ask, feeling rather glum.

"He knows, Ali. He knows what you are." I sigh, combing my hair with my fingers.

"It's too late to run, Jae. They'd find me anyway, right?" I felt the need to cry but held it in, barely. "It's pointless."

"It's not, Ali," he managed to squeeze in before the ambassador and our fathers re-emerged from the Alpha's office.

"Could we please speak with Miss Alice, please?" The ambassador gave me a long look before I was ushered into the room.

"Please, take a seat," Alpha James says as all three men sit down, myself beside the ambassador.