Chapter Two

Oldie music pounded through my ears as various pack members poured into the enormous living room. I hardly come into the pack house, but now really wasn't the time to look around due to the nervous perspiring bodies surrounding me from all angles. Yup, I think we can all agree I shouldn't take my chance to nose in fear of being devoured by anxious wolves.

I had been fumbling with my Shuffle, when I became aware that I wasn't touching the ground any longer; I was falling flat on my face, unable to stop the cold floor from greeting me. Sudden pain spiked through me. "Oomph," and I was down for the count.

A void of silence shrouded the area like an onComing storm. I hurriedly pull myself together, pooling my strength into allowing me to stand without being struck with pain by a simple movement. "Not going to apologize, huh?" I mutter beneath my breath, clearly annoyed with my attacker's manners.

"Watch what you say, human." My pursuer spit. Oh crap, I forgot I was surrounded by creatures with abnormal senses. I feel the warmth sprout in my milky cheeks. I bit the inside of my cheek for two reasons: I didn't like the attention this little scene was receiving, and I didn't enjoy taking crap from a mongrel without manners.

Finally mustering up what little courage I have, I open my mouth to speak, "You don'-" I had looked upwards, towards the cynical voice just in time to catch myself. Amber Trask, Jae's current girlfriend. Uh-oh, that was a very close call. She knitted her horribly penciled eyebrows together in a sassy position, clearly waiting for me to make a fool of myself.

A crackling noise filled the air around us, breaking the bubble of tension like a whip. "Another time then," I answer with instead, hurrying off towards a less densely populated corner. But I couldn't walk fast enough. "Stop!" I didn't turn around though, in fact, I started walking faster.

The crackling went quiet, and was replaced with a deep and authoritative voice. "Good afternoon, pack. Beta John Slater has an important announcement and we've asked everyone in our community to join, even those who have yet to mature," I could practically feel big neon arrows pointing to me, how nice. "So I shall bid you all a good day and allow Beta John to speak for me and announce a great piece of news." The fair haired middle-aged man migrated towards an office type chair, paying full attention to the Beta. You could tell he was the Alpha just by his posture and tone.

Our beloved Luna Cathryn would usually split speeches with our Alpha, like my father and the Alpha do now. But we mourned our wise and intelligent Luna moons ago, during a Rogue attack. Normally our pack wasn't so sloppy, but one of the female Rogues had lured a puny-brained he-wolf to abandon his patrol. This lowered our guard and the deadly Rogues snuck in, ready to plunge their blood-thirsty fangs into our leaders.

My Luna wasn't like the 'Trophy Lunas' you read about it novels. No, she was a born leader, precise in her decision making skills, never hesitating when her husband was away for political matters. Our pack is still mourning her, she was unique. Not like her doofus son, however.

Thankfully, I had lost Amber's attention when her 'future-father-in-law' began talking. Not that she will marry Jae, due to him finding a mate someday. Apparently, some people think Amber is his mate. Yeah right, I don't believe that for a split second. I think she's just scheming to get the Luna position. Naughty, naughty girl.

Finding a less populated area, I stood on edge, fearful of what my Father would say. "Greetings pack, I bring important information. I know it may seem sudden to form an unexpected meeting, but Alpha James and I were informed that an important event is soon to take place. An ambassador from the Royal Bloodline is being sent to each individual pack, they're even checking Rogues. Our ambassador will be here shortly to check each and every werewolf for a mark; A mark that the Moon Goddess herself placed upon them." My father's features pinched, his eyes beComing solemn. "We do not know why they are searching for this wolf, but we expect you to be on your best behavior."