Diamonds || Part 1

In Which She Shines For Them

      Their eyes latch onto her as soon as she is shoved into the grand party room, her back -right between the shoulder blades- aches from the harsh touch. Lead to the middle of the room, on a slightly raised platform, she is positioned as the main attraction this evening. She must be shinning brightly today, to gather such attention on a night such as this.

      Busy and loud, men and women of all sorts stare at her from their generously decorated gold and white tables, beautifully crafted gowns and tuxes hugging each body, every face made up with makeup, Botox, and genetic beauty. None of these beautiful beings have kind faces,greed etched into the men and some of the women, jealousy over shadowing the features of the rest. Normally a few would look, and most would continue with their activities right after.

      Tonight is different, though.

      Alan payed a handsome amount for her to look like a true beauty tonight.In a sheer, white, skin tight dress that hung short, left her back bare, and sunk low on her chest, there was very little left to the imagination. Her long blonde hair, usually straight and dull, had been thoroughly treated this morning. Now curled and in a fancy, over the top bun, her face -which had been through a horrible experience this afternoon involving plucking, and a variety of makeup she never knew existed- was framed just perfectly, and all eyes seemed glued to her, halting any conversation within the room.

      The silence leaves her yearning for more than just the soft, classical music that drifts through the room. As soothing as the hushed sound is, she can feel her skin crawling at the attention she receives. She wishes they would all look away and find something else to latch their unwanted attention on.

      Alan wants his money though, and knowing what lays within her skin, he had a brilliant -horrible to her, though- idea to sell her. They both knew he would make very little off her without a dramatic change to her appearance. So here she stands, in the middle of the room with Alan right behind her, announcing her worth after an entire day of beautifying her.

      She never imagined life getting worse, but tonight may prove to be a large step in the wrong direction.

      Alan starts his announcement right away, taking advantage of this opportunity and yanking her from the lonely solitude of her mind."Now, this here is a rare gem, a true beauty. Soft, pliable, and not fake in any sense! She will do anything you ask, without a fight!Wouldn't you like to have her for yourself?" People nodded from all areas of the gorgeous room, and she had to keep herself from fleeing. Alan would catch her before she got far, and then he would lose money and she is unsure of how she would fare. She would never survive long enough to escape him that way.

      "Well lucky for you! Tonight, I am graciously offering to part ways with this magnificent diamond, but for a price." Cheers rose at that,the thought of bidding against each other and coming out as the winner of her person very appealing to the group before her. "The price starts at three thousand!"

      His optimism surprises her. So much money, and just to buy a person for their body, their appearance. An object is all she is to these people. An object Alan oversells, his confidence tricking everyone into thinking she is actually worth something.

      He should be a business man.

      "Three thousand five hundred!" A woman starts the competition, looking fierce in a daring red dress. The bodice hugs every curve, lace everywhere but the bust, and silk runs down her thighs, only parting for a tan, toned leg. Confidence seeps off the woman's person, and she steps forward with a delicate hand raised. Men look at her in what seems to be shock, and then all of a sudden men are yelling over each other, disgraced by the thought of losing to a woman.

      She doesn't mind too much, knowing she never wants to end up with the woman in red. She just has this look about her, as if she devours young girls for breakfast.

      The bids only go up from there, voices overlapping each other as they fight to win the prize. It makes her feel sick, seeing how others could so easily objectify another human being.

      It takes all of her strength to stand still in front of them all.

      "Smile,"Alan hisses quietly in her ear. Chills shudder down her limbs, and she exhales before putting on a blinding grin, showing off her straight, white teeth. Alan knows this business, so it's no surprise when the bids jump higher and faster after her display.

      Many of these customers have an obsession with perfect or pretty things.Pretty and perfect makes a combination none of them can give up. They will be so very disappointed once she is stripped of makeup and fancy, revealing clothes.

      "Twenty thousand!"

      "Twenty-one thousand!"

      The bids begin to decrease in frequency after a long while, the number getting too high for many of them by the looks of it. Perhaps even with the dramatic make over, she is still not enough for these people.

      She yearns to ask them why they think this behavior is okay, why they don't care that it's a human being they're fighting to buy. But Alan grips her arm in a steel lock, shaking her from her dark musings.

      "Sold to the man at table five for thirty thousand dollars!" Alan's loud bellow echos in her ears as she searches for table five, needing to see what her new owner looks like, needing to know if she will ever have a chance at escaping.

      She catches sight of a young man as he stands, pale as if he rarely sees sunlight. His charcoal grey suit clings to his imposing frame as he walks towards them, and his face looks anything but kind; cold grey eyes, straight lips, a strong jaw. She will never be able to fight him.

       She will never be able to escape this nightmare.