✩ chapter IV, act I✩

Start from the beginning

"Are you going to go home?" Björn questioned, seeing Christian boats approaching theirs. It had been a long ride, but not long enough to erase the doings against his father. Hvitserk knew the same, even though he longed for his family, his uncle.

"I know what I have to do," Rollo mumbled, before turning to face the whole boat, his chest high and chin higher.

Nero almost scoffed at the sight, but didn't, she knew in his heart, he never stopped believing in their gods, and that his ambition, was merely moved by being in the shadow of someone greater than you.

"I want to make you all an offer. Anyone from our homelands who wants good, rich lands to farm can come and live in my kingdom. There will always be a part of Frankia which is a part of us."

"Us?" Floki questioned, his arms crossed over his chest, he looked at Ragnar's brother incredulously, "You are no longer a part of "us," Rollo."

"But what is "us," Floki, is changing." He reasoned, taking a sharp breath to not lose his mind. The boat swayed back and forth, and the water seemed to glisten an even lighter blue than usual, "Only you won't accept it."

"We... may be changing, Rollo." Nero stepped up, walking next to her father, "But who will such "us" be, if we don't stand by the same gods, if we don't stand by those who we love, if we don't stand by our families?"

Cheers and hums of agreement sounded after her words.

"And so I say the same to you," Rollo offered, looking at Björn, his heart clenching at the truth in Nero's words, "and you, Hvitserk. Even you, hound."

She nodded at him. For her, to be called hound was not an offense, but rather, a dismissal of the threat he knew she presented. Björn looked at his people, then at the Christian, "Too much bad blood, Rollo."

Hvitserk walked behind his girl, his chin resting on top of her head as he hugged her waist, "Once a betrayer, always a betrayer."

He couldn't see it, but she smiled at his words. They couldn't ignore what he had done to Ragnar and to his own people, to his own gods.

Just as he stepped out of the boat, a small voice wished him goodbye, "Goodbye Helga. I won't forget, I won't forget anything."

Nero hugged Hvitserk, hiding her face in his chest. He toyed with her hair, holding her close. Something told her that they wouldn't be lovers for long. He could feel it too.

And they weren't hurt about it, they had no hard feelings about it. Deep down, they knew they loved each other, but they knew they weren't meant to be together, not in that way. They loved each other but... they couldn't deny that they loved those two bloody bastards in Kattegat more.

Nothing they could ever have achieved would've made mattered once Nero locked eyes with Ivar, once Hvitserk locked eyes with Margarethe.

They sailed for days until they could see their hometown.

Nero's eyebrows furrowed at the sight of many towers, Aslaug wouldn't have built those, would she? Björn, Hvitserk, and Floki looked at her as well, all sharing the same look.

Nero looked at the oldest Ragnarsson her face ablaze with panic, Aslaug wouldn't have tried to create defenses for Kattegat, Lagertha would. As soon as their boats set on the docks, Björn rushed out with his warriors. Understanding the look on Nero's face and guessing the same.

Hvitserk didn't seem to find anything out of the ordinary, he simply thought things seemed... out of place. Maybe because of all his time away.

"Vit... I need to tell you something," she began, trying to distract him and making the boy happy while he still could, while the truth remained hidden. His face became stoic, serious, he urged her on, "I think I am..."