The Four Letter "L" Word Ch. 16.2

Start from the beginning

"Maybe. What's going on with you and Gabe?"

"Huh?"

Does he mean our fight or something more?

"Not so full of answers after all?" The staff pressed harder.

"What's the right answer, Rile? What answer will get you off me?" Alex wasn't frightened this time. "I'm not sure what you're asking."

He glared at her. "You and Gabe. Tell me."

"What do you want to hear, Rile? Do you want to hear that it's you I love? I love your attitude. I love that you don't take any crap from anyone. I love that you're streetwise and sarcastic. Is that the right answer?" she asked.

Now he looked uncertain and the anger faded from his eyes.

"I do. Does that make you feel better? Does that change anything? It doesn't for me. I love Gabe and I love you, but I will never play you two off each other," Alex said with finality. "I've made my choice, now live with it."

"You made the wrong choice." Rile laid the staff down.

"What wrong choice would that be?" Gabe asked from the doorway.

Alex felt a coldness clamp her and Rile into absolute stillness at the sudden appearance of Gabe at the doorway.

How long has Gabe been there? How much did he hear? Fire truck, he can't hear the four letter 'L' word. He'll run screaming into the night.

She wondered if the panic that she felt was showing on her face. Rile's expression was unreadable as he waited for her answer.

"Wrong move, that's all," she said with a false lightness.

"I see." Gabe didn't sound convinced, but he didn't sound angry either.

Then he stumbled as Cale pushed past him with a tremendous cry.

Cale barreled into Rile, still screaming. Cale knocked Rile off Alex and the two rolled on the floor wrestling.

"Don't pin Alex!" Cale shouted. "It frightens her!"

"I'm training her!" Rile shouted back as he coiled around his smaller, middle brother, reaching around for a headlock. "I'm not the one hurting Alex. Gabe is."

Cale's foot claws scrabbled as he tried to slither out.

"Rile! Let him go," Alex said. "Cale, neither Gabe or Rile is hurting me. I appreciate the gesture, but really. I'm all grown up and can take care of myself."

Cale dug his claws into Rile's arm around his throat. "My brothers have gone insane," he choked out. "I apologize for them."

"Give it up, Cale," Rile warned and smacked Cale's hand hard so his claws released. "You've only pinned me once since my thirteenth dry season and that was a lucky shot. You'll never repeat it."

"Gabe, do something," Alex ordered.

He shook his head. "This is between them. I want to see if Cale can overcome Rile with the proper motivation."

"I'm motivated too," Rile said. "Stop being Gabe's claw polisher, Cale. You know what he's doing with Alex is wrong."

"I'm not doing anything with Gabe!" Alex screeched, slightly hysterical.

What does Rile know? Or is he assuming? He remembers how Gabe acted after that one burst and he's smart enough to connect the dots.

"She's right," Cale gurgled and once again dug claws into the arm around his neck. "All clothing was on and in place. Sleeping next to, not with."

Thank goodness Cale is too sweet to think anything but the best.

"Think about it, Rile," Cale continued, "Gabe's honor, Alex's fears. Nothing is happening."

Rile hesitated. He would have to confess what he knew, what he had done.

In that instant, Cale slithered out, flipped over and pinned his younger, more muscular brother. "Yield and never pin Alex again."

"If I promise, can you promise Morgan will never pin Alex again?"

Alex threw up her hands. "That's it! I'm done! First accusations about Gabe, now the M word. I planned a prolonged shopping trip and y'all aren't invited. I need some things, including private girl stuff. See you later."

*****

A/N

How far will Rile go to interfere with Alex and Gabe?

Did Cale do the right thing?

Dedicated to: AngelEditor

The penguin lyric video is for you, too. It's so randomly funny and I know you love penguins.