Chapter 28

Elysia was determined to make this day much better than yesterday. Yesterday it seemed that anywhere she went she could not avoid people coming up to her and professing their concern over her safety. She had at least a dozen people tell her how happy they were that she had returned safely and how frightened she must have been during the attack. People were even thanking Shade, much to his annoyance. After her lessons with Maria yesterday, Elysia went straight to her room to hide away from everyone.

Now all Elysia wanted to do was learn. She wanted to become a fighter, she didn't want to cower in fear as she had during the attack. No, she wanted to be fierce and strong. Before the attack she had been so certain of her ability to defend herself if necessary. Now she knew better.

The attack was an embarrassment for her. Not only had she froze when she should have fought, but she also passed out from shock. Despite her skill with the bow, she hadn't even thought to reach for it.

If there was ever a time to learn, it was now. War would be waged soon enough and there didn't seem to be a safe place in Lyra anymore. Even a trip to the city center could be dangerous.

Desparate to find someone to teach her, Elysia sought out her father, hoping he might show her some tricks.

She found King Alan in his study sitting at his desk. He had a map of the kingdoms splayed out on his desk and he was drawing red circles in some areas.

Elysia stood under the doorway and knocked on the open door to grab her father's attention. He looked up from his desk.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

Elysia shook her head. "No, I just had a question to ask you. Is this a bad time?"

From the look on her father's face Elysia could tell this was in fact a bad time. He was obviously deep in thought over whatever he was doing. Instead of shooing her away, however, he called her over. Shade, as always, followed close behind.

"What can I help you with?" he asked.

Elysia took a seat in the chair closest to the desk. "I know you are very busy but I was wondering if you might teach me to fight." As soon as she said the word 'fight' King Alan looked as though he was already going to refuse. "--please let me explain before you reject it. I know you hired a guardian to protect me and I know you don't think I need to learn how to fight, but please reconsider. I'm in danger, all the time. Who's to say someone won't attack from inside the castle? You said it yourself you think we might have a spy in our midst. I need to know how to defend myself or I'll always be the damsel in distress."

King Alan released a long sigh and rubbed his brows. "You can handle yourself with a bow."

"Yes," Elysia agreed, "but that's only for long distance attacks. If someone gets close enough I won't have time to nock an arrow."

Surprising Elysia, King Alan suggested, "Why not have Shade teach you?"

Elysia pondered the idea. She turned and looked at Shade. His face--barely visible--was expressionless. "I don't think he would..."

"You never know. Anyway, I wish I had time to help you, but I really do have a lot of work ahead of me right now. I hope you understand."

"Sure," Elysia replied weakly. "No, I understand. You're busy."

King Alan looked torn as Elysia backed out of his study slowly. "Elysia--" he tried, but his daughter closed the door quickly behind herself.

Once outside of the room, Elysia had to take a couple of mellow breaths. She shouldn't have hoped her father would help, he was much too busy. On impulse she once again looked at Shade. "Would you teach me?" she asked.