Chapter 100

The temperature was colder at night, but even more so when one was in the clutches of a dragon, flying fast enough to cover dozens of miles in minutes. Elysia was freezing and the dragon's grip around her was certainly forming bruises around her ribcage. No matter her squirming, however, the dragon's grip never ceased. 

Forced to remain in her position, she hugged her arms around what she could, clinging for dear life. A fall from this height would kill her instantly. 

Her mind was still seized with panic. She had no idea what happened to Shade, if they were ambushed further or if the dragon was their only foe. She hoped with everything in her that he was unharmed. 

She knew he would be blaming himself for this. Despite it being her own fault. She knew the risks. She never assumed sweet little Emmy would be her demise. The thought of such an innocent child sabotaging her--whether intentionally or not--was still ludicrous to her. 

Yet somehow it had happened. Emmy had betrayed her, even if she had been misled into it. Apparently Phillip had also been involved in some way. But how had Phillip known a dragon would steal her into the night? How was Phillip connected to this?

Elysia knew she needed to get a grip. Her overwhelming thoughts and questions were not helping. Her survival instincts, if any, needed to kick in. What would Shade do? She pondered it for a moment, before reaching a conclusion.

In all the times they had travelled together and been taken into a secret location, both Shade and Elysia had been blindfolded. Yet still somehow Shade always knew the path they had taken. He was constantly aware of his surroundings. 

Elysia wasn't blindfolded now. She had no excuse not to know exactly where she was and where she was going. Clearly they were within Nieblan territory. She just needed to know where.

A tiny thought crossed her mind, making her question why this was even necessary. What would tracking her own location do for her? It's not like she could write a letter home to anyone, letting them know where she was. 

Still, it was better than doing nothing. So she remained intent on using what skills Shade had taught her, to determine where she was. 

It was disorienting flying on a dragon, but Elysia managed to reason they were taking a straight path. Once she knew that, she was able to figure out which direction they were going. Shade had taught her how to find North without a compass, even at night. She was grateful now for all his random and frequent survival instructions over the course of knowing him. 

The worst part was how slowly time seemed to be moving. Even though they were traveling incredibly fast, the pain in Elysia's ribs made every minute feel like hours. It was mighty uncomfortable, being in the clutches of a dragon for this long. 

When at last she felt them descending, Elysia made sure her senses were on high alert. She made note of everything; what structures they passed, any distinctive trees. 

When they reached the ground, she was released from the dragon's grip roughly, sending her body tumbling awkwardly to the grass. 

She let out a huff and immediately jumped to her feet, ready to run. No sooner had she stood, then a pair of hands wrapped around her. Though her arms were pinned, she bucked around wildly, until she was able to swing a leg back and hit what she assumed was her assailant's knee. 

Swiftly, she shrugged out of his weakened grip and dashed away. It was then that she realized, there were ten others around her. And if that wasn't enough, the dragon never left. She was as good as trapped. 

Still, it didn't keep her from trying to get free. Several painful, agonizing minutes later, she was dragged into an old wooden building; an unsuspecting place for such a priceless prisoner. She imagined they would have taken her to Niebla's leader. To a grander place than this, even if it was the castle's prison.