ᵗʰᶤʳᵗʸ ᵗʰʳᵉᵉ

Start from the beginning

Jessica let out a strangled squeal and curled into a smaller ball in her small seat, her jacket once again becoming a shield for her eyes and ears.

Looking at her friend amusedly, Brooklyn giggled at her friend and focused back on the movie. When it ended, Jessica was visibly shaking and Brooklyn remained as unfazed as ever. Now she understood what Jessica previously meant by her getting a kick out of seeing her shake.

Brooklyn bumped Jessica's shoulder. "How was it," she asked in mischief, eyes gleaming with trouble.

"Fuck off."

"Come on, it wasn't that bad," she argued, "It's all fake anyway. Never understood the scary part of a horror movie. The whole point of it is to put fear in people and that's exactly what you're giving them."

Jessica snorted. "Not everyone has a heart of steel like you. Normal people would extract fear in fearful situations, and I so happen to be one of them. Unlike a person I know."

"Haha, very funny," Brooklyn said dully, pulling out her phone and checking it. Jessica does the same and what she saw caused her to scrunch her face. "Is something wrong?" she asked in concern.

"Uh, yeah," she answered absentmindedly, typing away, "it's my neighbor, she said something about my parents throwing things around and shouting at each other? I don't know," she said, looking distracted, "who cares."

"Don't you want to go round your place?"

"Nah. Don't worry about it," she said dismissively. Her eyes sparked as she saw the bakery and ran towards it. Displays after displays of delicious looking cakes take up the front, and in the back there was a heavenly aroma of baked goods splashing around the small shop.

Her face plastered on the display and saliva practically flowed from the side of her mouth. She gave Brooklyn a guilty look, "is it bad that I just started my diet 6 hours ago and I'm already having cravings?"

"I wouldn't know," she shrugged in reply, cradling her stomach, "diets are not my thing. I don't see the point in starving my tummy."

"Of course you'd say that. You're so slim. Look at me," she looked down at herself and lay a hand on her tummy, "I look like I'm four months pregnant."

"No you don't," Brooklyn said encouragingly, but deep down she was agreeing with her statement, "you'll sleep it off."

"Sure." Rolling her eyes, she pointed to nowhere, "shopping or food. Don't worry, only the healthy stuff."

"I'd rather you never go near a retail store ever again, so I think you know my answer."

"Hey, at least I had fun," she said back snappily but with mirth.

"That doesn't change anything," scoffing, Brooklyn headed to the F&B level with Jessica on her tail.

As usual, they ordered and sat down. Jessica suddenly got sucked into her phone again to the point where her head wouldn't lift at all, and those key tones loud and annoying. Brooklyn wanted to snatch the device and break it into a million pieces because of the sounds it made, or at least shut it off.

Maybe they should practice the thing where they place their phones in the middle of the table and the first person that uses it pays for the meal. They ordered a bunch so it would surely make a dent.

Brooklyn was just about to suggest it - because Jessica was really getting out of hand with her phone and needs to be controlled - when someone tapped on her shoulder.

She tensed, immediately thinking to the other day where she saw Jack in shades and giving her that creepy, sinister smile. What if it was him.

Slowly, she turned, and she breathed in relief when she saw that it was only Tristan, her bodyguard. "Ms Reid," he nodded in respect, "can I talk to you in private."

"Sure," she got up from her seat and went to inform Jessica but noticed she was too out of it to even realize. "What is it," Brooklyn asked when they were in a secured corner.

"Mr Woods said that he has been contacting you but you haven't responded. He told me to inform you that he wants you to be home," Tristan said in his official bodyguard voice.

Brooklyn wanted to tell him that he could drop the act when around her as she was from a low background and shouldn't get so much respect. The only reason she is here was because of Asher. If he wanted her gone, she would be a nobody again but he'll still be famous and successful.

Overall, Tristan wasn't a serious guy. Once or twice she managed to clash into him around the house and made small conversation with him, she came to know some of his personalities. Being carefree and outgoing, it was easy to be around him but that also meant that if he was in a serious mood, he's serious.

"Did he say why?" Brooklyn asked, curious to why Asher wanted her home.

"No, but he sounded urgent," he told her. "If you'd take my suggestion into consideration, I'll say you go back immediately."

Nodding, she agreed with him. "Alright. I'll just go grab Jess and we can go," she turned to leave but Tristan latched his hand onto her elbow.

"Mr Woods said not to take her. He'll have his driver come pick her up when she wants to go back later."

"Why?"

"I didn't ask, Ms Reid," he answered, and she saw something close to a twitch in his left eye. "Shall we," he nodded ahead and she walked in front, him standing close behind her as she headed towards the exit.

What would Asher need that he would risk taking away her day out?

____________________

...I want to end the book so badly...

Also, for those of you that wanted to know who the mystery guy in shades was a few chapters prior, there you go ;)

Brooklyn's Break In #1 | ✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara