Ch 11: Mistakes

Blue Fjord

She drained the last drop of coffee and stood up. The wind picked up in the opposite direction, pushing her hood off and blond waves flying. She tugged on her scarf and began the long walk towards the East End. The TV blared loudly as she passed by an old repair shop.

“Death of Colonel Duke Avignon comes as a shock to the nation! Investigations are underway to determine the cause of death.”

She threw a glance at the TV as she passed by.

“He looked less tired in the old days huh?” She muttered and continued. She turned back for a moment, a habit she’d picked up in the last few years. Good, nobody behind her…except a man. He leaned towards a newspaper stall, handing over change. She continued her walk and turned the next corner.  

Left at the next street, across the road, and then forward. Her pace outranked the rest of the strolling individuals, and yet she subtly stopped at moments, to check her phone or stare into a store. Just enough to appear normal. She turned back again. He wasn’t there. Of course he wouldn’t be; it was a random stranger. Maybe she was just being paranoid. No, paranoia was good, it was safe. No one should know.

She lifted her hood up once more and continued down the empty street, closing her eyes briefly, imagining the sky raining snowflakes over her face, each one tapping her lightly on her cheeks and lips.

“Kai…”

Her eyes flew open. There he was,standing with that expression, just the way she'd imagined him all these days. Roy had finally found her.

Her hand flew to her purse as she began to back away slowly, clutching it tightly against her chest.

“Wait, stop. It’s me,” He held out his hands carefully. His pale skin gleamed in the afternoon sun. How many times had those hands stroked her head and held her close. How she would’ve loved to fling herself into those arms and remain there forever.

“Come on Kai. It’s been two whole years, almost three. I’ve been searching for so long. And-” H began

“Stop! Don’t step closer!” she whispered. It was worse than all those times she’d imagined him coming for her. All the words she’d prepared fell away.

“I’m sorry.” He said, hands falling. “I should’ve never let you go. I’m sorry. I should’ve found you earlier and saved you. I should’ve brought you home…”

“Stop it!” her voice, a few octaves higher. “Leave me alone!”

“Kai!”

“No! Stay away from me. Just stop…stop following me! Stop thinking about me and stop calling my name.”

Angry tears crossed down her cheeks, she brushed them away impatiently.You don't understand. How do I tell you the truth? 

Roy stepped closer. She couldn’t look at his face, knowing the agony that would be painted there.  He took another step.

“I said stop!” She dug into her purse pulling out a taser gun. He leaped forward, knocking it out of her hands, grabbing both of her shoulders and pinning her to the wall.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, his head inches from her ear. “I’ll say it again and again forever. I’m sorry. I’m sorry-”

Kai squirmed. No this was dangerous. They could be watching. In fact, they probably were. It might be too late already.

“Roy, listen to me. You can’t be here. They know about you. They’ve been looking for you.”

“Are you alright? Did they do anything to you?”