Chapter Thirty Nine: Broken Open and Bare

[A/N] So I was lucky this week with homework being light, but don't expect a peep from me till the weekend.  I would like to put out another chapter next weekend, but likely it will happen later then that.  

This chapter is a little slow, a little breather after the last one.  Things will get more intruiging in the next chapter -I promise.  This chapter is more about setting things up for the future, and just digging into character devolpments & realizations etc. 

Enjoy~

Em

“Hold her down will you?  Jesus bloody- you’d think I was killing her!  Can I get some anesthetic please?  Where’s Olivia?  I thought she went to get gauze from my van?  Oh for fuck’s sake!”  The doctor whose gloved hands were on my ankle released there hold and gripped my chin as his face suddenly came very close to mine, his slate colored eyes boring holes into my skull.

As my lips were jammed shut the piercing noise stopped, the one that had been hurting my ears so much it felt like my brain was bleeding.  The sound became muffled; it was trapped inside my now closed mouth.  Wait- was that screaming coming from me?  I couldn’t see straight.  The doctor was still talking, quieter now.

“Stay still, I’m going to fix it but if you move you’re going to hurt yourself more.  Here, Liam, by her head.  You got her to calm down before.”  Then the wrinkled doctor’s face and cold eyes were replaced by a familiar brown.  Liam was back.  He had gone to get ice from gas station because supplies were running low.

Everyone was running around in circles, my memory was fried but there were jarring images that flashed across my mind.  Falling off my opponent onto the floor, him lying much too still…  …a dead silence that filled my ears before screams broke out louder then ever…  Then two large men carried me out, a path being cleared as I left the dizzying bright yellow lights. 

I left the vulnerable plateau of the cage where I was scrutinized.  I let myself be limply carried, recognizing a few voices arguing with more unfamiliar voices…. Then I ended up here in this gray back room with a doctor who lost his license and so now tended to whatever fighters Black Jack wanted to keep alive.  Lucky me.  I had done what I came here to do.  I had impressed him enough to win an audience and probably a favor, if not a job. 

Not that I would ever want to do that again.  Not that I could do that regularly without dying.  Besides, Liam wouldn’t hear of it.  I was certain of the fact as I looked up at his sympathetic eyes.  He was now holding my jaw, delicately.  There was gauze in my mouth were I lost a tooth, shoved into my sore gum to stop the bleeding.  They had poured some kind of liquid for kids with braces that get cuts in my mouth too.  It tasted funny. 

Liam had been the first lad I recognized.  He was arguing with the doctor to let him and the others in.  Zayn had left; Liam left too, but now he was back.  My thought processes were childish.  I couldn’t do more though…  I looked up at him and felt incredibly guilty.  I had kissed the bloke.  All his efforts to build trust and first chance I got I manipulated him without reservation. 

I couldn’t open my mouth anymore, because he was holding it shut.  It was probably better that way.  It had been dislocated and even after it was put back in place it hurt.  I felt a bone being pushed back into place in my foot and a high pitched whimper escape my mouth.  I used to claim I never screamed, only yelled or shouted  -because screaming was too effeminate.  Well it wasn’t.  Screaming was human and the only thing besides crying you could do when you were hurt bad.