Fourteen: Changes.

Taylor ran through the mental list of things she needed to do while she was in bed, not wanting to move, for it was far to early in the day - it was overwhelming at this time of  year, as it always is - May, the end of school, family barbecues, vacations, CMA Fest, and going to England for some time. This May would mean the happiest of Mays for their family. Ed continued to snore next to her, and soon enough she’d wake him up to get their kids up and ready for school. Today, however, was the last day of school. It was also the day where they’d go this afternoon when school let out to get the news from the doctor. Would the cancer be totally gone? Would they continue treatment for a while longer? Perhaps that’s why she felt so sick this morning. 

She rolled over, waking Ed up, kissing him on the nose and running her fingers through his messy hair. He grunted, pulling the blankets up over his eyes. “Babe, we gotta get moving, last day of school and Amy’s appointment today.” 

“Already?” He sat up, yawning, “Shit, where did this year go?” 

“I don’t know, but we gotta get going. We’re helping at the school barbecue remember” Taylor kissed him again and got out of bed, heading into the shower while Ed went to start breakfast and get the kids up and ready for the day. They were excited, but Amy seemed nervous - uneasy almost. Her hair had grown back and was now a cute wavy pixie-ish style that Taylor absolutely adored. Taylor shifted Teddy on her hip, now eight months old and bent down to her. “Hey, smile, today’s gonna be a great day beautiful.”

“I know mom, it’s just weird.” Amy said, making faces at Teddy. 

“Why is it weird?” Taylor asked as she started to prep backpacks and snacks for the day.

“Because school is over, and I love school.” She took Teddy from Taylor and sat him on the counter facing her, “And cancer could be over too.”

“That’s something to be happy about, baby girl.” Taylor said, smiling at her oldest and youngest interactions. 

“I know, and I am happy, but momma it’ll be weird not having to go get blood taken, or taken medicines or go for tests, or stay at the hospital anymore. I know it’s good, mom, but it’s also a little weird.” 

“It’ll be a little weird for all of us, Amy, but we’re going to have so much fun this summer. Are you excited?” Taylor asked.

“Yes! We get to go to the new house and see Nana and Papa and go to the beach and you’re gonna go play that thing in Nashville like you do every summer and it’s gonna be so much fun Mama!” Amy was smiling and yelling by the time she finished speaking, which is when Ed appeared in the doorway, kissing them both and taking Teddy from Taylor so she could finish getting the oldest three ready for school. 

Hours later, after the school barbecue, a kindergarten graduation, yearbook signings and last goodbye hugs to friends and teachers the family made their way to the car. They were off to the doctor’s office they had first met in over a year and a half ago when Amy sat on Taylor’s lap with Chris and Emily playing in the corner to receive a diagnosis. They entered the room and sat in those same chairs overlooking windows with a beautiful playground, and Taylor smiled remembering how she and Ed promised to be making a large donation to the hospital at the conclusion of their daughter’s treatment. She’d be doing that, hopefully, this afternoon. Teddy was on Ed’s lap, Chris and Emily on the couch playing together and Amy was once again on Taylor’s lap. She grabbed Ed’s hand and squeezed looking for strength in his eyes. 

The doctor came in and sat down. He smiled at them before opening the folder, “Do you want the good news or the not so good news?” 

“Good.” Amy said smiling at him widely.

“Your blood work and scans are clear, Amy, you’re cancer free!” The doctor said. Amy jumped up and hugged him, then hugged her parents. 

“Okay, what’s the bad news?” She asked as she stood in the space between Taylor and Ed’s chairs.

“I said ‘not so good,’ not ‘bad’,” the doctor smiled again, “You’re gonna have to come back in for tests and blood work every few months, just to make sure the cancer is still gone. Also, the port in your chest for the medicine will be removed sometime this week which is a small surgery and you’ll probably spend one more night in the hospital.”

“That’s okay.” Amy said, turning to Taylor and hugging her. “It’s gonna be a great summer mommy!” 

Taylor kissed her on the head, before turning to the doctor, “Is there anything else today or is this it?”

“You’re free to go.” The doctor stood up, shook Ed’s hand and hugged Taylor and Amy. 

“Who should we speak to about a donation to the hospital on behalf of Amy.” Ed asked the doctor. 

“I can get you that information while you go arrange for her port removal. Thank you so much.” The doctor shook Ed’s hand again and led them to the desk to make her last appointment for several months. They were given the information to contact someone about a donation and finally, they were home. They called everyone, celebrating the news, and like this whole thing started with a media frenzy - they also tweeted about it. 

With the whole family outside playing in the grass with bubbles, it felt like the weight of the world was lifted off their shoulders. No more stress, no more hospitals, no more chemo and other drugs, and no more worrying about what each appointment would bring. Taylor hugged Ed tightly, kissing the stubble on his chin - “Babe, I don’t know how but we did it, our girl did it, we’re so over cancer.”

He pulled away enough to kiss her, “It feels so great, love. We should celebrate, all of us.” 

“How?” Taylor turned to look at their four kids playing again - Teddy in his swing watching the older children blow bubbles.

“We’ve always wanted to bring them to Disney, let’s do it. Tonight.” Ed had an excited, childish look in his eye.

“No, babe, I need at least a days notice to pack them all up.” Taylor laughed, Disney was a great idea though. “Let’s do it.”

“We can surprise them, get them on a plane and just not tell them until the car pulls up.” He was smiling like a child now.

“YES! We can lie and say we’re going to the beach house or something. We should bring Austin and his family, as we talked about going with them originally before Amy got sick.” 

“I’m okay with that, might as well tell your parents too.” Ed squeezed her hand, “This is gonna be so much fun!” 

“They’re gonna love it, I’ll text them now. But let’s celebrate tonight too, babe.” 

“Let’s spend the night at the new house.” Ed suggested.

“There’s no running water, electricity, furniture, or any of that.” Taylor reminded him.

“So we’ll camp, we’ll do a fire in the backyard and a tent in the living room.” 

“We need a toilet, Ed.” 

“Oh, yeah, so let’s camp here or do a living room sleepover.”  

“Much better, babe, let’s do dinner out to celebrate as well.” Taylor kissed him, “I’m gonna go tell my parents and Austin about tomorrow to see if they’re in then try and find us a hotel and stuff.” 

“Good luck.” Ed kissed her again before getting up as well to join in the bubbles with the kids. It was going to be a very good summer.

AN: This is the last chapter (short epilogue to come). Feedback greatly appreciated! If you read this please vote or comment, it means a lot to me. Hope you like it. :)