Eight: Light.

A/N: You'll notice that this is picks up where the first chapter begins, which should technically be a prologue. Feedback appreciated, as always. :)

The following morning, Taylor called the school and let them know that Chris wouldn’t be coming in. She decided sometime early morning while she was wide awake and Ed was snoring next to her that today, despite the visit to the oncologists office would be a day of fun activities with her kids. Together, because how many days like this could they have in the coming months? It was a surprisingly nice fall day, an Indian summer one could call it, and they’d pack a picnic lunch to have at the park before going to the doctors. After running it past Ed he agreed almost immediately wanting to make good memories before they soon turned to be not so good ones in their children’s memories. She was making a special breakfast of homemade Belgian waffles in addition to the already full cooler next to the counter for their lunch.  

Ed carried Emily and their older children followed into the kitchen, where they ate quickly and Taylor told them of the plan. Chris was all smiles when he found out he wasn’t going to school. Ed packed up the car with games and a blanket and their lunch while Taylor got her children ready for the day. Amy looked very tired, very pale but no fever - which was good. She was complaining her legs were hurting but Taylor was told to expect joint pain complaints. She just hugged her and promised that she’d be better as soon as she possible - what else could she do? Answers were coming today, hopefully. 

When they arrived at the park, Taylor spread the blanket and lunch out and took the kids to the swings with Ed. She pushed Amy gently - being more careful than she ever was. Ed was chasing their younger children around the park playing tag. They enjoyed their time, soaking in the sun and making sure that their morning was filled with laughter before they headed to the grey of the hospital. 

Finally, the time had come for them to leave the park. Ed quietly packed the car up and Taylor let her kids go down the slide one last time. Finally, she called them to her and picked up Emily and held Amy’s hand and Christopher held her hand as they walked up to Ed. 

“Did you have fun today?” Taylor asked with a smile, knowing soon that there may not be smiles back from her kids.

“Yes!” They all said in nearly perfect unison.

“Can we come tomorrow, momma?” Chris asked as Taylor buckled him into the carseat.

“I don’t know, sweetheart. I think they said it might rain.” Taylor glanced at Ed for support.

“We also gotta see what the doctor’s say.” Ed smiled, “Let’s go, okay?”

When they arrived, they were brought into a small conference room over looking a playground. Taylor pointed at the toys set up in the corner and told her kids to go ahead.  She held Ed’s hand and waited. Finally, the doctor came in - the pediatric oncologist that had met with them earlier in the week. He shook their hands and gave them the news. Leukemia - they knew that but today they learned specifically. 

“Acute myelogenous leukemia.” He said, “Developing quickly, but we’ve caught it early enough. “The treatment will be intensive, I’d like to get started as quickly as possible.”

Taylor nodded as she gripped Ed’s hand, “What will it entail?”

“Chemotherapy. If that doesn’t work, we will consider a stem cell transplant. I am confident that Amy’s leukemia was caught early enough that chemotherapy will cooperate, but prepare yourself if she does not respond to the treatments.”

Taylor nodded again and glanced at Ed. He spoke this time. “When?”

“We can admit her now, run more of the necessary tests required to begin treatments and prep her for a procedure to get the port of chemo put in within the next day or two.” Tears were filled in Taylor’s eyes as she glanced at her children, knowing she’d fall apart if she looked at Ed. “Or, you can bring her home - she’s without a fever, which is a good sign, and have a last night together as a family at home before this hospital becomes Amy’s home for the next several months.”

“I think that’s what we will do.” Taylor stood up and thanked the doctor before getting their kids and heading home. They packed them into the car and then the questions began. Taylor tried explaining, but when they got home - Imogen took Chris and Emily so Taylor and Ed could explain it all to Amy. She cried, wanting to go to school - to see her friends, to play soccer - not go to the hospital. They held her as their eight year old learned what was going to happen. Taylor told her that it wouldn’t be for long and Ed tried to make her laugh with jokes about the hospital. Amy finally stopped crying, and looked to Taylor.

“Mom - can I see my friends tonight?” Taylor nodded and left to go make phone calls.