The Year's Shadow

Start from the beginning

"Great." Bailey shut her planner. "Now, our cake testing appointment is in fifteen minutes, so lets get going. See you both there."

######

Jay and Erin got in the car, Erin taking a seat in the passenger seat. Ever since yesterday, things had been magical for the two of them. She was seven weeks along, and Erin and Jay were beyond excited.

"So," Jay cautiously pulled out onto the street, snow falling lightly and covering the streets. "How is our little guy doing today?" He rested his free hand on Erin's stomach.

"Our little girl," She smirked. "Is doing just fine today. It would be better if she stopped making her mama sick, though."

Jay's smile dropped when Erin said the last part. This was week three of everyday nausea, and it hurt him to see her sick every morning after she ate. He wished he could take the pain for her. "Dr. Robbins said he could give you some medicine. We can talk about that at the next meeting in a few weeks." He ran his hand up her arm to her shoulder and squeezed it for reassurance.

"I don't want anything to hurt the baby, Jay." She was still in her first trimester which meant it was a high risk for miscarriage. Erin wouldn't take any risks.

"Er, Dr. Robbins would prescribe you a medicine that wouldn't affect the baby. He wouldn't give you anything that would risk the baby's health. I can promise you that." He followed Bailey and took a reroute to the cake shop. "Have you thought about how we want to surprise everyone?"

A grin spread onto Erin's face. "Yes, actually." She brought her hand down to rest on her stomach. "I thought in our vows we both could say something. We agreed we wanted to say our vows publically, so I say let's do it then. It will catch everyone off guard, so at the reception it won't be suspicious when I don't drink." She thought this out thoroughly.

Jay pulled into the parking lot of the cake shop, and looked to Erin once he got parked. "You're brilliant." He pressed a chaste kiss against her lips. "Let's go pick out some cake."

Jay walked around the car and held his hand out for Erin to take. She grinned and took it, closing her door. "Jax will be home around six." She smiled. Erin and Jay were still getting used to living with a teenager, and his crazy schedule. But, according to Jaxton, they were doing perfect. "When are you guys going to get your suits picked out?"

"We already have them picked out, we are just doing a final fitting next Thursday. We picked out- Bailey picked out a shade of navy for our ties, so we are going to have all of us there to see how it flows. When is your final fitting for you and the girls?" Jay held the door open so they could meet with Bailey.

"Next Friday." Erin waved as Bailey walked up to them.

Jay nodded in acknowledgement as Bailey began talking. "Who is ready to try some cake!" Bailey clasped her hands together as she leaded them to a table with four chairs. "Okay, so did you both decide on a vanilla?"

"White vanilla."

"Good. So, my friend Kayla, she is the owner of this place. She is bringing out German chocolate, ultimate chocolate, dark chocolate, carrot cake, banana, red velvet, country spice, almond, hazelnut, and lemon." Bailey explained as ten plates of cake were sat in front of the couple.

Erin and Jay dived in, expressing their opinions as Bailey watched. "Definitely going with German chocolate. The ultimate and chocolate were much to rich for our liking." Erin spoke for the two of them.

Bailey nodded, filling out the paper for the cake. "So right now we are settled for sure on White French Vanilla and German Chocolate?"

"That is correct. We aren't even going to try almond and hazelnut. Some of our guests may have nut allergies, so we don't want to take he risk." Jay said as she pushed those two plates aside.