✧ two

Word Count1166Date Published 11-17-18✧✧✧

Word Count
1166
Date Published
11-17-18
✧✧✧

Lacey
"Hey." The boy said, he had a baseball bat in his hand. Scotty just looked up and nodded.

"Hi." I shut my book and sat up right.

"You like the Yankees?" He asked, seeing my shirt and hat.

"Yeah, they're my favorite. I like watching baseball."

"What are you talking about? You love baseball and you play baseball. She's really good too." Scotty interrupted.

"Scotty!" I whisper yelled, elbowing him in the gut.

"You play baseball?" He asked curious.

I wanted to keep it more of a secret because I'm scared of how everyone would react to a girl baseball player. Back in my old town, I was the only girl who played baseball. My team was shockingly supportive. I was constantly being told I was better than most of the boys. I wasn't sure if they said that cause I was a girl and wanted to make me feel good. I got lots of attention in school. I was popular and I hated it. Everyone expected so much from me. It gave me a lot of anxiety, but after I found out we were moving, I felt so relieved. Don't get me wrong, I miss my friends but it feels good to get away from all the things that caused me stress.

"Yeah, I do. But I wanted to keep it more to myself."

"Why?" The boy asked.

"Cause I know how people react when they hear a girl plays baseball."

"I ain't like that." He shrugged. "Anyways, I'm gonna play some ball and we need an extra guy. But since there's two of you, you guys wanna go?" He looked at Scotty and back to me.

I just shook my head. I opened my book back up. I was almost done. I was on the last chapter. I was at the part where Lucy, Edmund, Susan, and Peter are being crowned princess/prince and king/queen of Narnia.

"Nah, thanks." Scotty says as he glances up from his glove.

"Why not? Don't you guys like baseball?" I looked up from the novel.

"Yeah, but I'm almost done with my book. Maybe another time."

"What're ya readin'?"

"The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe."

"I hate reading." He chuckled.

"I love it. It's so calming." I laughed back.

"You can take the book with you and read." He suggested.

"Alright fine." I gave in. He smiled. "You comin' Scotty?" I got up from my seat on the steps.

"No."