Chapter Seven

Seven.

Sven Svenson, Stoick Haddock's lawyer for over thirty years, had been surprised but pleased to be contacted by Hiccup two days later to enquire about his father's estate. He explained where he had been, the lack of support and bad information he had been given on finding his father was dead and the struggles he had suffered. And Sven had invited him to his Berk office later that day to discuss the will and the prospects of getting the old will overturned.

As it turned out, the process was relatively simple-or would be had the Berk Historical Preservation Society not fought tooth and nail to hang onto what they had been given, even at the expense of leaving the man's rightful heir penniless. So despite his qualms, the young man had been forced to meet them in court.

Astrid had found him become more and more anxious as he neared the court date and she was half-expecting him to say he wanted to stop the process-which she wouldn't have allowed him to do anyway-but he had quietly informed her that he would see it through, no matter what, because his father would expect him to fight for what was his. And of course, Stoick Haddock had hated his wishes being disobeyed-and that was precisely what had happened. So his son would fight to get his father's final wishes honoured and in the process, win back his inheritance.

He was now enrolled at Berk College for a part time engineering course and was working with Gobber-who had relocated 'Gobber's Forge' to Berk in early February. Toothless had been registered as a service dog to support him with his PTSD and the black mutt was now in fine shape, still lean but his coat was fluffy and soft and he was a loyal and devoted companion and protector. Astrid had come with him to kit him out in a cheap suit for court, a dark brown with cream shirt and green tie that suited his colouring and as she had brushed a little imaginary lint of his shoulder as she had checked him over before they left the apartment, she had felt a small surge of pride at the man who faced her. Hiccup was clean-shaven, his hair neater though still casually tousled and emerald eyes sparkling in his anxious face. His lean shape was straight and tall and he looked smart and handsome.

"You are someone I would be honoured to walk with," she whispered to him as they left the building and got into the taxi.

The Judge-an elderly and rather impatient member of the Judiciary-had initially been unimpressed that someone was trying to take money away from one of Berk's most revered institutions-until he had become aware of the particulars of the case. The fact that the plaintiff was a decorated war veteran, a man who had served with distinction and who had lost a leg in the service of his country, made him a little more sympathetic. And even more so when he read Gobber's letter from Stoick and realised that Hiccup's Father had wanted to make up and repair their relationship-except cruel fate had denied him the opportunity. The news that the Historical Preservation Society knew that there was another valid will that superseded the one they insisted was enacted only enraged him further.

"Never in my thirty years as a judge have I heard such blatant disregard for the law and for all laws of common decency!" he raged. "And as a result, you were homeless and on the streets, Lieutenant Haddock? Denied any of the money your father left you to ease your passage from being a serving soldier to a man with disabilities and psychological wounds?"

Hiccup had blushed at the accurate but blunt description and had nodded as Toothless pressed reassuringly against his knee.

"Yes, Judge," he had admitted.

"Scandalous!" the Judge had growled. "I award the entire value of the estate to the sole living beneficiary-Lieutenant Hiccup Haddock. The BHPS have already tendered receipts for the sale of the house and goods and so that plus all monies and other unsold inventories items from the will are to be returned within two weeks to the young man!" The slam of his gavel had closed the case.