The First Task: Year 4

Start from the beginning

There was a sharp whistle, and the crowd erupted into cheers as Cedric walked out into the enclosure. The dragon glared at the sight of him, following his movements with its eyes. A burst of fire erupted from its mouth, almost scalding the Hufflepuff.

"Oooh, narrow miss there, very narrow," Came Bagman's commentary.

Immediately, seeming to have gotten over the shock, Cedric set to action. He pulled out his wand, gestured at a rock on the ground that quickly transfigured into a labrador retriever.

The crowd roared.

"He's taking risks, this one!"

Amisty watched as the dragon was quickly distracted by the golden dog, it's focus entirely focused on it instead of Cedric.

He crept forward slowly, grey eyes fixated on the golden egg nestled next to the dragons real eggs. And then the dragon's head swiveled back to him, eyes narrowed fiercely at the sight of how close he was to her nest, and she sent a spurt of fire toward him.

Amisty felt a gasp escape her mouth as Cedric didn't dodge out of the way in time, the flames licking the side of his face.

"Clever move -- pity it didn't work!"

He leaped out of the way, the golden egg tight under his arm, and the crowd burst into applause once more.

"Very good indeed! And," He turned toward where the judges were sitting, "now the marks from the judges!"

A seven from Madame Maxime, an eight from Mr. Crouch, another eight from Professor Dumbledore, a seven from Mr. Bagman, and a... three from Karkaroff.

Unfair and frustrating, but expected.

"One down, three to go! Miss Delacour, if you please!"

"Amisty, go get him!" Madame Pomfrey barked, not even bothering to hide her annoyance with the chosen task as she bustled around, bringing the burn potions closer towards her and a few cases of a strange orange paste.

Amisty leaped to her feet, rushing over to where Cedric was standing, seeming quite shocked with what had happened.

"Hi, Cedric," She smiled as she approached him, gently nudging him in the direction of the healing tent. "Let's go fix that burn."

He winced more than smiled at her, but somehow managed to get a few words out before they went inside, "I hadn't known you were interested in healing?"

"I met Madame Pomfrey in first year and she showed me a few things. I thought it was cool and now I guess I've just fallen into the trap," Amisty shrugged cheerfully, pulling aside the curtains around one of the many gurneys.

"Don't tell her I talked to you," She whispered as he took a seat, glancing over her shoulder as the healer ran around grabbing the last few things needed for the healing process. "I won't be the only one in trouble."

He grinned as best as he could, and she stepped to the side, letting Madame Pomfrey take over.

"Amisty, I'm going to need those bandages."

And she was running off to another drawer, grabbing a roll, and pressing the cotton gauze into her hands.

"Oh, I'm not sure that was wise!"

Madame Pomfrey stepped away, fuming words flying out of her mouth as she worked. Cedric stayed dutifully quiet.

"Oh... nearly! Careful now... good lord, I thought she'd had it then!"

Amisty resisted the urge to sneak a glance out the entrance as she went to fetch more potions.

The crowd burst into cheers once more.