Chaos At The Ministry: Year 4/Summer

Start from the beginning

"I can send it later, I just want to go to sleep," She dove under the covers, her eyes already starting to flutter closed.

Truthfully, she wasn't sure if she even wanted to send it.

"I can do it for you," Hermione offered, not even waiting for an answer as she swooped up the letter and left the room.

"Hermio -- " Amisty started to protest before falling back down onto her bed, a faint smile on her face.

It didn't take very long for her to fall asleep.

-=+=-

When she woke up, she found two letters lying by her bed, Hermione fast asleep to the side.

One was Draco's tell-tale green signature, and the other being the welcoming maroon writing of Noel. After a slight debate in her mind, she opened Noel's first.

His writing was messy and shaking, some parts smudged as if he hadn't given it the proper time to dry.

Dear Amisty,

I've just read the Daily Prophet. Arthur Weasley had owled me a few weeks ago to tell me you were staying with them over the summer to go to the Quidditch World Cup. Now I'm sure you know why I'm writing you. I've been worried. Are you alright? You weren't caught up in anything, were you? The Dark Mark wouldn't have been a happy sight for anyone, not even you. I know you were young, but you don't forget memories like that. Please write back, please be safe.

I love you, Dad ❤

She immediately set to work at replying, grabbing her quill and ink and writing as fast as she could manage and keep her writing legible.

Dear Dad,

I'm safe, we got out of there in time. There was a bit of drama in the woods, the person who had sent up the Dark Mark was right by where we were standing but other than that it wasn't very bad. None of the Death Eaters saw me. I'm safe. It was hard to get through it, but my friends all helped me get through everything. We got Top Box at the game! Lucius Malfoy was there... I don't know if he was one of those Death Eaters or not. Or that Draco, that's his son, wasn't.

Love, Amisty

And then she turned toward the letter from Draco, slightly less hurried in opening it.

Dear Amisty,

There's no use for you to get very far into what I do. It's safer for you to not know. If it makes you feel at all better, no, I was not a part of the riot. I was only watching from where you and your friends found me, I never joined the crowd. I was told not to leave the woods. And I hope you realize I had seen you, hiding behind Potter. I've already told you, there's nothing wrong with being afraid. Even if you are a Gryffindor and half wolf. You've been through a lot, and that riot wouldn't have helped.

Be safe too, Draco

She smiled faintly, feeling vaguely reassured now that she knew he had never joined the crowd. Not to mention the ever-present teasing had cheered her up, helping to keep her attention off the dreaded green skull.

Dear Draco,

I'm glad to hear it, truly. Other than the riot, I actually quite enjoyed the Quidditch World Cup. Even with your staring at the veela. Don't pretend that didn't happen. I saw it. I would think the unshakable Draco Malfoy wouldn't be affected by veela, but I guess I was wrong. You can't win every battle, I suppose...

She grinned, picturing his expression as he read the jab. A scowl, no doubt, but the corner of his lip twitching as he fought down a smile and a faint pink stain along his cheeks.