The Dark Mark: Year 4/Summer

Start from the beginning

As they fought their way through the woods Amisty was having trouble keeping her sanity. There were dark figures pushing through the branches and trees, children were crying, voices and shouts attacked her ears, people ramming into her and almost knocking her to the ground.

And then Ron screamed and she nearly broke into tears.

"What happened? Ron, where are you?" Hermione asked worriedly. "Oh this is stupid -- Lumos!"

The light of her wand illuminated Ron, who was lying on the ground, "Tripped over a tree root."

"Well, with feet that size, hard not to," A familiar, but this time cold and distant, voice remarked.

Harry shoved Amisty behind him, to which she was relieved.

She was not in a good place.

Peeking under his arm, she caught sight of the boy she had become somewhat friends with.

Malfoy was leaning against a tree, arms folded and not looking at all concerned with what was happening.

Ron replied with something very rude and very vulgar.

"Language, Weasley. Hadn't you better be hurrying along, now?" His silver gaze drifted over to where Hermione was standing. "You wouldn't like her spotted, would you?"

Amisty grit her teeth, but the sparse amount of bravery and anger she felt at that dissipated the second a blast echoed through the trees, a wash of green light spreading over them all for a split second.

She stifled a whimper with her hand.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Hermione asked sharply.

"Granger, they're after Muggles. D'you want to be showing off your knickers in midair? Because if you do, hang around... they're moving this way, and it would give us all a laugh," Malfoy replied.

The bracelet was glowing again.

"Hermione's a witch," Harry growled.

"Have it your own way, Potter. If you think they can't spot a Mudblood, stay where you are," Malfoy countered.

The bracelet glowed brighter.

"You watch your mouth!" Ron snarled, stepping forward.

"Never mind, Ron," Hermione grabbed him, pulling the fuming redhead backward.

Amisty barely kept her scream concealed at the next bang, a few people nearby doing it for her as she trembled.

Malfoy laughed quietly, "Scare easily, don't they? I suppose your daddy told you all to hide? What's he up to -- trying to rescue the Muggles?"

"Where're your parents? Out there wearing masks, are they?" Harry snapped back.

"Well... if they were, I wouldn't be likely to tell you, would I, Potter?" He replied, smiling faintly.

"Oh come on, let's go and find the others," Hermione threw a disgusted look over her shoulder at Malfoy.

"Keep that big bushy head down, Granger," Malfoy sneered.

"Come on," Hermione grabbed both of the boys' arms, dragging them onto the path once more.

Amisty followed along, trying to steady her breathing as she struggled between terror and fury.

Never a good combination.

"I'll bet you anything his dad is one of that masked lot!" Ron growled.