Chapter 1: College Letter

I bite my lip as I look out of the window deep in thought, I watch as the rain pours from the sky and the lightning strikes from a distance. I've always found lightning oddly beautiful despite how destructive it is but I can't seem to focus on it as I avert my gaze to the piece of paper in my hand.

Dear Addison Grace
We are happy to announce that you have been accepted into Grand Ridge University and we look forward to seeing you on our campus soon! We know there are plenty of colleges out there that would be more than happy to accept you due to your academic success and achievements despite you being a home schooled student but we hope you will choose us! Please contact us if you choose to accept this offer we would be honored to have you as a student.

The dean of GRU

Little do they know I only applied to their school and didn't even expect to be accepted.

" Addison I'm home! Come help me put up the groceries please! "

I hear my mom yell from the kitchen causing me to jump.

" Coming mom! "

I yell back and quickly put the letter in my pillow case so she won't find it, despite the fact that I've been home schooled for four years she still likes to snoop. I've never understood why, it's not like I have anything to hide its not like I have any friends or a secret lover in the closet.

I walk into the kitchen and start taking groceries out of the bag and handing them to my mom so she can put them away. There's not many to put away due to the fact that it's only me and my mom living in a small apartment. There's not much room to put things and I don't really have much of an appetite, although my mom encourages me to eat more so I don't start going down the wrong path again.

I notice the football jersey that she bought that reads " Grand Ridge University " but I don't say anything, not wanting to upset her. My brothers birthday is coming up in a few days, he would be turning twenty two if he were alive. My mom has bought presents for him every year and even wraps them and puts them in his old room, it's been three years since he died but only one since my dad died.

Yet she's never done anything for him, a part from a funeral of course.

" How's your day been? "

She ask me as she starts fixing coffee, which is her addiction.

" Good, boring but good. "

I reply.

" The weather has been terrible today, I'm surprised our power hasn't been knocked out. "

" Lightning has struck nearby a few times but nothing serious that I'm aware of, besides the roads starting to flood of course. "

I add, trying to make conversation. I've been trying to work up my courage for weeks to tell her I'm going to the university but I can't seem to bring myself to do it. I leave in a few days, you would think I would be thrilled to finally have some space from my mom and this dreadful house but I've never been on my own and even though I know this is what I need, I'm terrified.

" Mom? "

I say, biting my lip. She turns her attention to me noticing my tone of voice.

" What's wrong sweetheart? Is something bothering you? "

She ask worriedly, sitting down next to me.

" I have something to tell you and...you're not going to be happy about it. "

She furrows her eyebrows in confusion, probably wondering what I could possibly be talking about considering I have no life.

" You're not pregnant are you? "

She ask hurriedly and I choke on the air.

" W-WHAT! Of course not! "

She lets out a sigh of relief.

" Oh thank god, well if it's not that then it can't possibly be that bad. "

She says, sipping on her coffee like what she just said is no big deal. She watches way to many TV shows about teen pregnancy, I mean seriously? I've never even kissed a guy, I've never even got a guys number!

" I'm...I'm"

As she stares at me I feel my breath get caught in my throat.

" I'm really sorry but I left the lights on to long in my room yesterday, I know how you are about saving electricity and money but I forgot. "

" Addison you had me worried it was something serious! "

She laughs.

Yeah it's not like I got accepted to college or anything...

" Just try to remember next time sweetheart. "

She says, patting my shoulder and standing up to walk to the living room.

" Oh and by the way the Clarke family is coming over for dinner so be sure to dress up, their bringing their son so I said you would be here. "

She tells me walking off.

Only three days left and I still haven't told her I'm leaving, great.