03 | The Do's and Don'ts

Hi Wattpaders! We're here with another chapter. This one is filled with things that can either make or break your story. When it comes to writing teen fiction there are things that you want to do to help your story thrive and things you want to stay away from in order to not drag your story down.

So what exactly are we talking about? Let's discuss it further...

Don't Confuse YA as a Genre

The foundation of writing is understanding your categories and genres. I often see people confuse Young Adult as a set genre where kids go on adventures. They assume YA is not teenagers going through trials and tribulations, but that is not true. All YA means is the age of your characters. It shouldn't defy what your characters go through so you can fit into the YA category. Read more here.

Don't Downplay What Teenagers Can Experience

When reading books about teenagers, we often see them as people who are falling in love and deciding what college to pick. In reality, being young can be extremely difficult. People assume you know nothing and you do not really know pain because you don't have a 9-5 job. It is a time when you are trying to figure out who you are. You experience life changing events like figuring out your sexuality, family ordeals, love, sex, confusion, depression and so much more. No one person has the same exact experience. Therefore, do not be afraid to take your characters to some darker places just because they are young. Read more here.

Don't Dumb Your Language Down

Just because your characters and most likely your target audience is young does not mean that they are not intelligent. You might seem pulled to changing your writing style and language to fit your young characters, but this can seem like you are talking down to them. In a way, it is very insulting. If your readers feel like you are talking down to them, they will disconnect from you and your story. Read more here.

Don't Write Awkward Slang

In real life, teenagers do not just walk around saying OMG or LOL. It could be used in text sometimes but not something that usually is involved in their life. If an actual teenager were to read a book where the characters talk like that, then it would drive them away from your work. Do not try to write slang that is not used in the first place. Read more here

Make Sure Your Characters are the Right Age

As mentioned earlier, YA is a category that describes the characters' ages in the book. It is important that the characters match up with that age description of 14-19. Once you get into the 20's age range that becomes more a New Adult/ Adult situation where you are officially out of the teen fiction stage. Read more here.

Find the Right Protagonist

Your protagonist and your story are like two peas in a pod. They need to match in order to make sense and carry the story forward. You want your protagonist(s) to be the right fit for what you are trying to tell the readers. The main character's voice is something you can see through their dialogue and actions. It can be tempting to write someone cynical, but it is important to note that there are other options as that one can be overused. Just sit down with yourself and your story and figure out what person would be the best fit. More information here.

Focus on the Emotional Truth Teens go Through

Teenagers want to read stories that they connect to. It can be a conflicting time for them as they try to figure out who they are and who they want to be. It is important for them to feel like they are seeing themselves through things. Maybe your character just lost a parent or a friend and it has made them feel alone. Your readers might be feeling the same thing. Maybe your character is feeling like no one likes them at school and your reader has been feeling isolated at school as well. Your story doesn't have to be the exact same thing that your readers are experiencing but it can be enough for them to feel seen. More information here.