S I X ~ Lana Clarke

Start from the beginning

 "What a great idea." I smiled, giving him a hug.

 Dad chuckled in return, messing with the bun I lazily fixed for my hair. "Cathy's recipes always wins my heart every single time."

 Playfully rolling my eyes in return, I wasn't trying to win any hearts over.

 "You know, Lana, you're looking tired. Maryann mentioned that you've been working a lot lately. Is there something you'd like to tell me?"

 Keep a strong smile on, I shook my head. "No, everything's great. I just wanted to work a little extra. I know Landon has two jobs, but I thought it'd be good to help him out. No need to worry, Dad."

 Staring at me momentarily, Dad was trying to comprehend what I was hiding through my eyes. He eventually sighed, going with what I said.

 "Alright. You're still young, Lana. I really would like you and Landon to go to college too."

Dad added how that was what he really wished for. It bothered me. Why didn't he say he wished to get better?

 Keeping that smile, I looked away momentarily until Dad asked if he could help me with dinner. Gazing back at him, I felt unwanted tears forming in the rim of my eyes, but ended up swallowing harshly to rid them away.

 "I'd love that, Dad."

 After an hour, we managed to finish a three course meal and honestly, I was very proud of what we accomplished together. Dad was always a good cook. Cooking with him bought back so many memories when my parents would do this together. As much as it bought joy to me, my heart wouldn't stop aching.

 "Wow! Smells good in here!"

 As Dad and I turned around, we found Landon walking in with his work jacket over his left shoulder. It must have been a long day for him at the auto shop. It's always amusing how Landon would be covered in dirt and grease from the auto shop and could easily transition into a clean-cut lifeguard. Greeting Landon a welcome home, he then plopped on the wooden stool and grinned.

 "Special occasion?"

 Did he forget? Maybe I forgot to tell him. Through his speaking, Dad slid a glass of cold water and Landon smiled warmly in a thanks.

 I shrugged, taking the dinner rolls out of the oven. "It's nothing big... Eli is coming over."

 Landon's eyes widened as he gulped a large amount of water. He wiped his mouth. "He's coming over? Oh man, if I only knew I would have asked Haley to come, but she's hanging out with her girls. Did you know about this, Dad?"

 "Sure I did. I wanted to know more about Eli."

 Churning Mom's house soup, I commented, "He's really not that big of a deal, Dad."

 Landon remarked out of amusement, "Lana! That's cold."

 Dad nodded in agreement and we all laughed lightly. It wasn't meant to sound rude, but I didn't want Dad to think anything serious was happening between us. I didn't even really know Eli. The best thing to say about this was we're just friends.

 Dad took a stretch from all that cooking and announced in a joking matter, "I'm going to fancy myself up for tonight. It's been a while since we had a guest in the house."

 We laughed again before Dad headed upstairs to complete what he said. Landon shook his head, giving me an amused smile.

 "Same ol' Dad. Hey Lana, Maryann called me at work today and said that she was worried about you. Is there something you need to tell me?"