History Repeating

Start from the beginning

"So you kidnap me?" I don't know what else to say. It's easier to hold onto the slither of anger I still have over him not saying anything than to actually feel for the guy.

"I have missed out on your whole life and-"

"Why now? How did you find out about me?" I interrupt.

"I came home when my father died and found this when cleaning up." He pulled out a folded piece of paper from his pocket and handed it to me.

I didn't want to take it, but after a few seconds I managed to. My hands were shaking as I opened it, my mothers handwriting filling the page as a small photograph taken minutes after I was born was stapled to the top corner.

"She told me she wrote to you." I don't read it, quickly folding it up and passing it back as the tears started. Emotions I had no idea what to do with were forced down and wiping my eyes, I try to stay neutral. "I'm sorry about all of this."

"You have nothing to be sorry about." David's voice is as shaky as mine.

"But I do. I forgave them. They're the only family I know and Aiden-"

"Will be dealt with soon." He growled.

"Why? What's he done to you?" Whatever moment we could have just had was gone as something new and powerful took its place.

"Helped them, hide you for starters." David snapped back. "Don't believe all he tells you. Acting noble protector to the little witch as the pack cries for help which they so eagerly give? Not just any pack either, others have offered much more than they did for the kind of protection they got. He knew those I have killed as well as your parents. You, my dear, are simply a novelty to them. Why do you think I have been so determined to find you?"

My stomach sunk. "I don't understand."

"Sending this letter to me was the biggest mistake your mother ever made. Do you remember the other hybrids, the families that they came from?" I shook my head. The story I had been told was just that to me, a story. "Nobody willingly responsibility of one of you. Once, your kind were simply killed at birth before someone had the idea of trying to control you all instead. A risky job for some, easier for others. They weren't loving homes wanting to help, they were horrible places used to raise true monsters. They didn't want anything to do with your parents, because the shifters didn't want to risk any vampires stopping them as there are plenty who would. Those who made it to adolescence successfully were sold off to the fae or covens."

"You're lying."

"What sob story did that Aiden give you? Fostered by a family that were unable to have children of their own? Grandparents who took him in and raised him as best they could as he mother had abandoned him on their doorstep? I doubt he told you the truth of his childhood or how he really ended up with the good little witches of the east?"

He comes closer, boldly hugging me. "I'm sorry, but knowing what I do about these places, when I realised you could have ended up in one, I went through them all. I told you they aren't as innocent as you'd think. If they had you, I was going to get you back and then one stupid mutt confessed about knowing you and your family."

I push him away. "My life may not have been perfect, but my parents never did anything horrible to me growing up. I know I told you me and Dad never really connected, but there was nothing like what you're implying."

"That is simply because your mother found out the truth and refused to leave you with them. It was your father they were still in contact with, even after all these years. You never showed signs of even being hybrid so it was assumed my genes hadn't fully mutated after my change at your conception."