Chapter Twenty-Nine

Though I could have helped Steve with more evacuation I had to finish this. It needed to end. I vanished to the Stark tower roof, feeling the gravel on my bare feet again I cringed momentarily. The humming of the machine started to draw me towards it, it was hypnotic but anything that could take control of me was like nails to a chalk board. Natasha walked over to the balcony and grabbed Loki's scepter that was in the middle of the balcony. Looking passed her I saw a broken Loki laying in a pile of rubble. The Tower had been even more destroyed than I had last seen it.

Turning back to the machine, I focused on the energy. If I could stop it I would. No matter the cost. I grabbed the machine to steady myself then shoved my hand through the barrier, ignoring the cuts that formed on my hand. When I went to touch the stone I was sent back with a sharp jolt of power. Rolling back onto my feet I landed on my energized platforms. Racing up again my eyes stared up at the pure blue energy beam. Raising my hand I went to touch the beam once again.

"Jaedyn!" It was Natasha's voice that called my name, stopping me from moving. "I have a better way to close it," I shook my head not wanting to stop doing this, I needed this. I reached again, gripping the stone and started to close it only to be ripped back away from the machine by Nat. I spun around to face her. "Stop. Your not going to be able to handle it."

I knew she was right, I wasn't thinking straight but when I heard Dad yell my name I almost dropped from the energy weight on me. I lifted my hand and aimed at the machine, focusing on it. Only to be shot back with a blast of power.

"Jaedyn!" Dad yelled my name over the coms but it began to fade when I started to hear a sharp scream. Going to cover my ears didn't help as it was inside my head, if it got any worse I thought my ears would bleed. "Romanoff get her away from there, she's gonna get herself killed!" Natasha ordered me to go down to the lower balcony and wait. Knowing that she doesn't ask twice I did as she said and walked down. Looking up at the sky, the beam that I had helped in making it.

"Okay guys I can close it. Can anyone hear me? I can shut down the portal," Nat yelled into the coms, her red hair being blown back by the waves the Tesseract was sending off.

"Do it!" Steve yelled.

"No, wait!" Tony's voice abruptly yelled, cutting off Steve. I was stunned, wondering why he wanted us to wait, though when my eyes searched the sky. Not seeing dad made me even more worried.

"Stark, these guys are still coming." Steve spoke against Tony, his voice obviously exhausted of the battle and wished what we all wanted. For it to be over.

"I got a nuke coming in, it's gonna blow in less than a minute. And I know just where to put it." Tony spoke and I looked down the street to barely see the Iron Man suit flying with a nuke on his shoulder.

​ "Stark, you know that's a one-way trip?" Steve said, I felt my lungs tighten as I watched Iron Man climb higher and higher over the city, gaining speed, suddenly flinging himself through the portal.

"Jaedyn..." My name. That's the last thing he spoke, my name. The Communications died. I wanted to drop to my knees as I felt my body grow numb. I recognized that numbness as I had it before. When he was missing in Afghanistan. Though I didn't drop I still felt heavy, Natasha had stood still an looked up to the portal. We all were hoping for him to just fly back through be completely un-phased that he went through the portal to the other side of space.

"Dad," I uttered under my breath, everything around me had gone quiet.

"Close it," Steve ordered Natasha. She looked down to me and my eyes begged her not to, without hesitation. She pulled the scepter out of the tesseract, turning off the portal.