Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty

When they arrived at the other platform Lily found herself being embraced tightly by the majority of her year, even some people she had barely spoken to. She could barely move for being grabbed by people until the last person left after a short conversation. Alone with James she glanced around, searching for her parents.

“Your mum’s over there,” James said, levitating her trunk and striding forwards, one hand holding hers. He tugged her through the crowd until they reached May and he set her trunk down gently.

“James,” May said, greeting him with a weak smile. “How are you?”

“I’m alright thank you Mrs Evans. What about you?”

Her smile faded and she nodded once. “I’m… I could be better.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” he replied as he glanced swiftly at Lily. “But I should probably go… Sirius will be looking for me.”

“Of course, don’t let us keep you,” May said. “We’ll see you at the wedding then?”

He looked at Lily and frowned. “Wedding? I don’t remember proposing?”

“Petunia’s,” she replied with a chuckle. “Sorry, I must have forgotten to tell you about it. Mum convinced her to let us come so if you want…”

“I can think of better things to do than be insulted by your sister,” he muttered with a grin, “but I would never leave you to that hell by yourself. Anyway I really should go but owl me with the details and I’ll come.”

“Okay,” Lily said as she hugged him, pressing herself against his solid build. “Stay safe,” she whispered.

“Course I will,” he winked. “Bye Lily, goodbye Mrs Evans.”

“Have a lovely summer James; we’ll see you at the wedding.” He strode off into the crowd, his trunk bobbing along behind him, and it swallowed him up. “He really is such a lovely boy,” she said as she began to move towards the exit.

“Hang on Mum,” Lily said as she followed her, “where’s Dad?”

May shut her eyes and turned to face her. “He’s really… he’s not very well.”

“What? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I’m sorry Lily, I’ve been spending all my time with him and trying to organise your sister’s wedding; I barely had time to call Petunia, let alone write a letter to you-"

“You told Petunia?” she exclaimed.

“I didn’t have a choice. I wanted to tell you sweetheart but you know I couldn’t ring you and-"

“I can’t believe you didn’t tell me!”

“I had to ring your sister because of the wedding plans… I didn’t want to worry you in the middle of your exams,” she mumbled.

“What is it?” May kept walking and Lily, racing to catch up with her, tugged her arm. “What is it?” she repeated. “What happened to him? He was fine when I left; you can’t just tell me that and then not tell me what’s happening; I’m not a child anymore Mum I want to know-"

“They don’t know!” she snapped. “They don’t know what’s wrong with him, Lily! I’m sorry I didn’t contact you, I know I should have told you I just… It all felt too real and I couldn’t- I just- Oh god can we please just get out of here?”

“I’m sorry,” she mumbled. “I shouldn’t have…”

May pinched the bridge of her nose, looking down and scrunching her eyes shut for a moment. “Come on,” she sighed, “let’s get you home.”