Dementors Attack: Year 3

Start from the beginning

Amisty's eyes fluttered shut.

Darkness took over.

-=+=-

When Amisty came back to consciousness, she felt the familiar soft weight of the hospital wing gurneys against her back, a pillow under her head.

There was a muffled voice coming from what she guessed was the door, she kept her eyes shut.

"Shocking business... shocking... miracle none of them died... never heard the link... by thunder, it was lucky you were there, Snape..." A voice she didn't recognize was speaking, even then the words were broken up and barely understandable.

"Thank you, Minister," That, for certain, was Snape. He sounded very, very smug, though, which set off a few alarm bells.

"Order of Merlin, Second Class, I'd say. First Class, if I can wangle it!" The man, who Amisty assumed was Cornelius Fudge due to how Snape had addressed him, replied.

"Thank you very much indeed, Minister," His words were drenched in humility and honor.

"Nasty cut you've got there... Black's work, I suppose?" The Minister asked.

"As a matter of fact, it was Potter, Weasley, River, and Granger, Minister..." Snape replied, not sounding very sorry at all that their reasoning had been justified.

    "No!" Fudge gasped, sounding as if he had been scandalized.

Amisty forced her eyes open, wincing at the harsh light and whirling room.

"Black had bewitched them, I saw it immediately. A Confundus Charms, to judge by their behavior. They seemed to think there was a possibility he was innocent. They weren't responsible for their actions," He his voice turned delighted as he continued.

"On the other hand, their interference might have permitted Black to escape... They obviously thought they were going to catch Black single-handed. They've got away with a great deal before now... I'm afraid; it's given them a rather high opinion of themselves... and of course, Potter has always been allowed an extraordinary amount of license by the headmaster -- "

"Ah, well, Snape... Harry Potter, you know... we've all got a bit of a blind spot where he's concerned," Fudge admitted.

"And yet -- is it good for him to be given so much special treatment? Personally, I try and treat him like any other student. And any other student would be suspended -- at the very least -- for leading his friends into such danger. Consider, Minister -- against all school rules -- after all the precautions put in place for his protection -- out-of-bounds, at night, consorting with a werewolf and a murderer -- and I have reason to believe he has been visiting Hogsmeade illegally too -- " Snape began again.

"Well, well... we shall see, Snape, we shall see.... The boy has undoubtedly been foolish..." Fudge's voice trailed off. "What amazes me most is the behavior of the dementors... you've really no idea what made them retreat, Snape?"

"No, Minister... by the time I had come 'round they were heading back to their positions at the entrances..." Snape replied.

"Extraordinary. And yet, Black, and Harry, and the girls -- " Fudge started.

"All unconscious by the time I reached them. I bound and gagged Black, naturally, conjured stretchers, and brought them all back to the castle," Snape interrupted.

There was movement beside her, and she turned her head, ignoring the shooting pain rushing through her.

Harry had woken up, his eyes wide and alarmed. Hermione spotted the two of them, wide awake, and held a finger to her lips as she pointed toward the cracked door.