Peter Pettigrew: Year 3

Start from the beginning

"Together?" He asked, his voice almost feral.

"I think so," Lipin nodded, holding the rat up higher and poising his wand, "On the count of three. One -- two -- THREE!"

There was a blinding bluish white light erupting from the end of the wands, Scabbers being held up in the air and squirming wildly.

Ron yelled, and then the rat fell to the floor with a muffled thump. Amisty's eyes widened to the size of saucers as there was another flash of white, and Scabbers slowly transformed into a human.

A huddled up, cringing man with thin hair and a short frame. He looked as if he had lost a lot of weight in a very short amount of time.

Watery eyes, pointed nose; there were plenty of similarities to Scabbers. That wasn't what shocked Amisty, though, it was the gruesome way the transformation was that left her shaking.

She fell back onto Hermione, jaw dropped. Is that what her transformation looked like? It was terrifying!

"We've never seen you transform like that, Am, the light always blinds us," Hermione whispered as if reading her mind.

"Well, hello, Peter. Long time, no see," Lupin sounded entirely casual, staring down at the man with cold eyes.

"S-Sirius... R-Remus... My friends... my old friends..." Pettigrew's voice was squeaky and high.

Black rose his wand, but Lupin forced his arm down with a warning glare.

"We've been having a little chat, Peter, about what happened the night Lily and James died. You might have missed the finer points when you were squeaking around down there on the bed -- " Lupin started, voice still calm.

"Remus, you don't believe him, do you...? He tried to kill me, Remus..." Pettigrew whimpered pathetically.

"So we've heard. I'd like to clear up one or two little matters with you, Peter, if you'd be so -- " Lupin started again, still calm and still frigid.

"He's come to try and kill me again! He killed Lily and James and now he's going to kill me too... You've got to help me, Remus..." Pettigrew pleaded, pointing with his middle finger to Black, as his index wasn't there.

Black looked furious, eyes blazing with silent anger.

"No one's going to try and kill you until we've sorted a few things out," Lupin replied.

"Sorted things out? I knew he'd come after me! I knew he'd be back for me! I've been waiting for this for twelve years," Pettigrew's tiny eyes flickered around the room, landing a few seconds too many on the door.

"You knew Sirius was going to break out of Azkaban? When nobody has ever done it before?" Lupin asked disbelievingly.

"He's got Dark powers the rest of us can only dream of! How else did he get out of there? I suppose He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named taught him a few tricks!" He shrieked, voice getting so high Amisty almost covered her ears.

"Voldemort, teach me tricks?" Black asked coldly, a low, horrible laugh leaving his throat. Pettigrew flinched. "What, scared to hear your old master's name? I don't blame you, Peter. His lot aren't very happy with you, are they?"

"Don't know what you mean, Sirius -- " Pettigrew murmured, breathing too fast to be deemed casual.

Amisty finally found a worse liar than her.

"You haven't been hiding from me for twelve years. You've been hiding from Voldemort's old supporters. I heard things in Azkaban, Peter... They all think you're dead, or you'd have to answer to them... I've heard them screaming all sorts of things in their sleep. Sounds like they think the double-crosser double-crossed them. Voldemort went to the Potters' on your information... and Voldemort met his downfall there. And not all Voldemort's supporters ended up in Azkaban, did they? There are still plenty out there, biding their time, pretending they've seen the error of their ways... If they ever got wind that you were still alive, Peter -- " Black taunted mercilessly.