6

%this chapter corresponds to ch.12 of Silence is Golden%

Inadequate.

The word flipped through my mind the entire day. She worked, humming to herself and finally showing joy over what he did for her. Only for her. But the word kept coming back.

For a long time the word had plagued him. In how his family saw him, in how the world saw him, in how we saw himself. It had finally come to the point that he saw himself as adequate among others and then she had to come in. The doubt crept in after her.

He remembered asking her if any man would be good enough, adequate enough, for her and the response had been an unhesitant no. Maybe things had changed? A collection of moments have passed since then. Good moments, if his brain was to be trusted.

He stared harder at the paper in front of him, willing his brain to read the correct words. Any particular reason for your unnecessary exuberance, Mr. Linton? He asked her, remembering Arnold's diagnosis.

She danced around the room in her tailcoat, telling him with the wildest smile the story he knew too well. It's at this point that he couldn't resist.

And how did this fortunate event take place, if I may ask? He sincerely hoped he hadn't overdone it with this question. It was taking every ounce of control not to let his face twitch into a smile or even his eyes crinkle at her very adequate reactions.

His secretary stopped jumping around and gave him a queer look.

No idea, but now that you mention it...

His finger twitched, maybe she would connect the dots? Half of him hoped she would, the other half very clearly didn't. Yes, Mr. Linton?

He isn't the first suitor to disappear without a trace...she murmured to herself something about whatever. He couldn't decide. She had bit her lip, was worrying it as she thought and all he could think about was how soft they looked. He swallowed slowly at the memory of the feel of them on his and her hands tugging his hair.

She shrugged. Maybe I have a guardian angel? And left his office with a smile that really excited him to reply. He approached the doorway and countered back, Doubtful. I cannot imagine a divine entity would waste time guarding you. She thanked him for the "compliment" and it only spurred him on further.

The ache in his chest was back but this time it felt almost good. Like it made him feel just a little more adequate than before.