3

%these chapters correspond to Ch. 11-12 of Silence is Golden%

She wasn't arguing with me today. In fact, she seemed maybe even...happy?

I barked for more balance sheets and watched her write over them with her curvy scribble. She had a single piece of hair in front of her face that seemed to silently beg for me to tuck it behind her ear. I had to sit on my hand to avoid the urge. It had been a while since I saw Arnold and his words have been hiding in some far alcove of my brain. While I haven't seen him since, it might be a good time for another visit.

She frowned at the paper. I looked away, working on my own sheets, getting back into the groove. The rest of the morning passed without any sarcastic comments. And then the afternoon. And then the evening. We still had a few more sheets left, maybe it was good for her to take it-

Not on your sweet life! I sweat all day for you in the office, I'm not going to do it at home!

Her form retreated, I tried to ignore how my fingers curled at the thought of her leaving so soon.

It would show an admirable work ethic. If only all my employees would agree to unpaid overtime then we'd be in a good place.

You can take your admirable work ethic and stuff it up your ass!

Language, Mr. Linton!

Yes, Sir.

Let's try one more time. Will you do the work at home or not?

No, sir. Why did I expect differently? Besides, I could not even if I wanted to. I have a situation at home.

My ears perked up at the word situation. During her moment of hesitation a thousand scenarios flipped through my inner eye. All images of her with other men. Men who-

Out with it, Mr. Linton! I need to know, to confirm the thoughts that make me want to break my pen in half.

I...am engaged. Ok we've dealt with this before, this is doable. She doesn't seem to be jumping for joy over the news so at least that's a positive. My teeth unclenched, I answered: Indeed?

To a man! She replied with an expression that could only be described as vexed. I leaned back away from the work and gave her my full attention.

How shocking!

Don't laugh at me! But you're amusing, almost makes me want to smile again.

Do I look like I'm laughing? She looked at my stoic expression and then down at her feet, suddenly remembering who she was talking to. To her employer, not an old pal or close friend. I should remember that too. She looked up at me as if expecting something, anything.

Off with you then, enjoy your time with your fiancé. Even the word made me upset. The second she was out the door I called Karim. Time to activate the Waste Disposal Squad. And maybe see Arnold again.