Mosquitoes

"This store smells like Hollister had a baby with Abercrombie and Fitch

"This store smells like Hollister had a baby with Abercrombie and Fitch. Do they sell gas masks here?" 

Ryder ducked her head in embarrassment as the store clerk glared over towards her and Kim. The latter shrugged and send the balding man a wave, to which he responded with a violent snarl. The red splotches growing on Ryder's cheeks became more vivid and she was almost thankful for the heat they generated.

The store was small and cold, located in the dreary center of Port Angeles. The windows were thin and it seemed that the strong December winds could blow right through them. Ryder was wearing one of Paul's old hoodies, but it wasn't enough to protect her from the drafts.

"I don't think Jared would appreciate a gas mask for Christmas." Ryder spoke softly, her voice reaching only Kim's ears as they browsed the store. It was a 'modern boutique' as the sign said, which apparently only meant dimly lit and heavily perfumed. 

"You're right." Kim grinned wolfishly and pointed behind her. "He'd like those much, much more. Paul, too."

"Are you insinuating that our boyfriends are cross dressers?" 

Ryder raised a playful eyebrow, watching as Kim began to browse through the lingerie section. There was an entire wall taken up by the various contraptions, lace and silks creating a daunting image. Her friend snagged a bright red corset lined with white, holding it up with a grin.

"I'm insinuating that if Paul saw you in this, all his Christmas wishes would come true."

"By me dressing up like santa's other woman?" Ryder looked down, her hair falling down to hide her blushing cheeks. She couldn't pretend that the lingerie wasn't sexy- it was. The package came with red fishnets and a striped garter belt, along with a santa hat. No matter how cheesy it seemed, Ryder knew Paul would love it on her- and that's what scared her. "I think a water bottle would be much more practical. He always steals mine."

"I see that blush, missy." Kim chucked the santa apparel back on the rack haphazardly, stepping closer to Ryder. A wide grin tugged at the corners of her lips. "Have you and Paul not had sex yet?"

"Kim!" Ryder blushed harder, her voice rising in mortification. A quick glance over her shoulder confirmed her suspicions that the clerk was watching and listening intently to their conversation. She spoke again, lowly. "People could hear you, stop yelling!"

"It's just sex, Ry." Kim rolled her eyes, holding up a emerald green contraption over her clothes. "Jared and I fuck all the time and I mean all the time. I swear that man has a magic-"

"Oh my god." Ryder groaned heavily, pressing her hands over her ears. Kim didn't seem to get the message, jabbering along while modeling in a white rimmed mirror. "I really don't need to know about... that."

"Oh, don't be such a prude." Kim teased, looking over at Ryder with dancing eyes. Ryder wondered briefly if she would ever become as confident as Kim, so assured in her relationship. She knew Paul loved her but she didn't know if he loved all of her. She hadn't told him of her past, of that night- what if he never looked at her the same? "You're hot, he's hot. I mean, c'mon that boy is smoking, I don't understand how you haven't jumped his bones yet."