chapter eleven | luke

chapter eleven.

"Favorite color?" Luke said to Lottie as he took a right turn.

"Turquoise. You?"

"Hm, red." She nodded.

"Your band is good." She complimented, un-doing her braid and then re-doing it again. She pursed her lips together in concentration as she looked straight into the mirror. She would squint whenever the sun decided to look into her eyes. Once finished, she slammed the mirror above her closed and put her hand in front of her face, even the "sun blocker" wouldn't do her any justice.

"Eh?" Luke smirked and she nodded, sighing of relief when the sun looked away. She rested her elbow on the arm rest and scrolled through her phone with her free hand.

"That's good," he smiled. "We are planning on competing in the towns talent show."

Lottie locked her phone and set it on her thigh and traced the vertical black and white strips with her index finger and looked up at Luke, softly smiling.

"That would be amazing," she started. "I'm sure my friends and I would come cheer you on and vote a thousand times."

Luke laughed. "The judges vote this year."

"Poop." She pouted and crossed her arms. Her frown faded and she eventually shrugged. "You'd win anyway."

Luke smiled.

Luke stole glances every now and then at Lottie, watching her fiddle with her hair and type away on her iPhone. Her French tip nails clacked against the keyboard fast as she typed to - he looked again - Andy. He nodded, nearly laughing at the thought that he thought they were together. He bit his cheeks to prevent from laughing and shook his head.

"Can I play some music?" Lottie blurted. Luke bent down and handed her the cord. "Here." She smiled gratefully at him and plugged in her phone and played the song Classic by MKTO. Luke laughed as he watched Lottie wiggle in her seat and mouth the lyrics, using her fist as a microphone. She turned the volume up louder and rolled her window down. Luke copied her actions. He revived a dirty look from a professional looking man next to him in the car who was now rolling up his window. Luke shrugged it off and tapped his long fingers to the steering wheel to beat and began humming the lyrics. This song was his guilty pleasure.

"I'm over my head

Outta my mind,

Thinkin' I born in the wrong time."

Luke and Lottie both sang. Lottie looked over at Luke and laughed.

"Lucas Robert Hemmings, you know this song?"

"Perhaps I do, Miss Charlotte Jane Caverly." He winked. Charlotte laughed and rolled her eyes.

"So," she smiled. "Where we goin'?" She asked as the song "22" came on.

"It's a surprise."

She smiled. "I love surprises."

Luke looked at her when they hit a red light. "You do?" She nodded, biting her lip, trying to prevent a smile.

"Fine," he said. "The Santa Monica Pier."

Lottie smiled and cheered.

"I've always wanted to there!" She squealed.

"Okay, girly-girl." Luke laughed. Lottie glared.

"You're a butt."

"A big one too." Luke winked.

"Dear lord."

•••

When they arrived at The Pier, Luke noticed Lottie's mood change. She was fidgeting with her fingers non-stop and refused to ever wait in line alone.

"Are you ok?" Luke asked in a concern tone. Lottie looked at him and smiled, Luke knew it was fake.

"I'm great."

"Lies." Luke dragged Lottie out of the line and behind the popcorn tent.

"What's wrong?" Luke demanded and answer from her. She shrugged and waved her hand.

"Luke, nothing is wrong I swear."

"Looks like we're dying tonight." Lottie rose her eyebrow in confusion.

"You swore on something that isn't true." He said. Lottie sighed.

"This is going to sound stupid, but I hate major crowds. Yeah, I can deal with the ones at my work and my dad's gigs but I feel like everyone is staring at me. I just get self-conscious really easily, but it's fine, really Luke, I'm fine."

Luke grew worried for her and he hated that he grew worried for her. He shouldn't be feeling any feelings for her. He shouldn't even be doing this, but he wanted what he wanted and he would get it.

"Do you want to leave?" Lottie looked at him as if he were insane.

"Are you insane? Of course not!" Luke laughed lightly.

"If anyone stares at you, I'll punch them okay?" Lottie giggles.

Damn, that giggle.

"Whatever, Hemmo."

•••

"That was amazing." Lottie smiled as they walked on the beach. Her hair was now down in knotted waves, but Luke still thought she looked flawless.

"Yeah, it was." He agreed. The bottom of his skinny jeans were rolled up and he held his vans in his free hand.

The hand that wasn't holding onto Lottie's.

Luke looked down at their hands then smiled up at her. Should I kiss her? He thought. No, too much right now .... right?

Luke motioned them to a large rock at the end of the beach that was right near the board walk. If you stood on it, you could easily climb onto the board walk. Of course, after jumping the railings. Luke lifted himself onto the rock and held out his hand for Lottie and she accepted it, and he lifted her up.

Damn. She thought.

"It's so pretty." Lottie smiled and wiped her hands off on her shorts. Luke glanced at her. She was softly smiling out at the ocean with the sunset landing on it. The moment was cliché, but it was perfect. The beach was empty expect for people gathering up their things and getting their un-willing-to-listen-children out of the water.

Luke continued to look at her and he smiled. "Yeah," he sighed out. "It really is."

*****

A/N:

AW AW AW OKAY THAT LAST SCENE WAS CUTE

okay, to me it was.

but thank you all so much for the support on this fic so far and I can't wait to continue it!

please don't forget to comment/vote/ and continue reading!

stay lovely. xx - m.