chapter six | charlotte

chapter six.

"Care to explain just what the hell that was?" Effie leaned foreword, pressing her stomach hard against the fake wooded table. Charlotte ran her fingers through her thick hair, pulling them out as knots engulfed her slim fingers. Looking at Andy for support, he sighed and leaned foreword, as did the rest of the table.

"Long story short, little miss good girl here caused a heated break up in front of a restaurant with her dazzling looks and now the boy who embarrassed himself for life, won't give up on her." Andy shrugged and twirled his straw around in his Coke with extra ice, before taking to straw and taking a long awkward sip. All of the group of friends' eyes were either on Andy or Charlotte. "Oh, and he calls her Lottie."

Effie leaned back into the booth in disbelief.

"And you were planning on telling me this when?" She shot towards Charlotte who just covered her face and let out an aggravated groan.

"I was going to! I just haven't gotten around to it, okay? I could not not tell my best friends about the most annoying boy on Earth who won't leave me alone."

She peeked towards Violet who was shaking her head, sipping on her drink.

"Oh c'mon. Not you too, Vi." She just shrugged.

"Wait - how long ago did you meet this guy?" Clyde chimed in, making everyone's eyes turn towards Charlotte. She nervously scratched the back of her neck.

"Last week."

Everyone groaned and fell back into the booth.

"Hey! In my defense, I couldn't tell you all because none of you even decided to text back and Clyde was on vacation and I didn't want to pour meaningless drama all over you all."

"This isn't meaningless drama, Char. This is big. Someone is actually fighting for you, unlike someone." Charlotte knew that Isaac was referring to Cole. She sighed.

"He doesn't mean anything to me anyways." She shrugged, twirling her straw.

"That's what they all say, but you just wait. Love comes when you least expect it. Especially when you aren't looking for it." Andy spoke. Everyone nodded in agreement, and all Charlotte did was sink further down into her seat, biting her thumb nail.

•••

Andy and Effie waited in outside as Charlotte helped her dad load up his things. By this time, Luke and Sophie were the only ones left sitting in the booth as the others all gathered at the bar, laughing obnoxiously. Charlotte rolled her eyes.

Other than that, Jackson's BBQ was quiet. As the laughter died down and her father focused on putting his cords into the bag, Charlotte acted as if she were zipping her dads guitar case when in reality, she was listening in on Luke and Sophie's conversation.

"What I said earlier is true, ya know." Sophie spoke up.

"Not it isn't. She is far from a bitch, Sophie. Just because someone acts tough, doesn't mean they really are. There was these things called walls and they are used a lot nowadays." Sophie scuffed.

"Charlotte is a bitch, Luke! I mean, who goes to high school with someone for four friggin years then dumps them on the side of the road like litter when they just try to be nice?"

Someone who was bullied all throughout high school, that's who.

Luke huffed before Charlotte heard the wood from under the table creek as he stepped off it and onto the floor.

"We're done here. Don't insult people I care about, bitch."

Sophie gasped and Luke exited out onto the patio.

Charlotte's eyes went wide.

Luke cared?

She gulped then cleared her throat.

"I'll be right back." She whispered towards her dad, he nodded.

Setting the unzipped guitar case down, Charlotte went out onto the patio. She looked at Luke who was leaning against the railing, his forearms propping him up and his hands were in a ball in front of him. Slowly, Charlotte stood next to him.

"Hey." She whispered softly yet a tad bit awkwardly.

The wind blew in both of their hairs as cars passed down the road, every once in then you could hear music from their rolled down window. Charlotte looked over at Luke.

"You heard?" He whispered, looking down at his hands.

"Y-Yeah."

He played with the metal ring on his lip with his tongue before sighed and lifting himself off the railing and down onto the seat behind him, the black netted metal chair squeaking and rubbing against the shiny, crystallized, pavement.

"How could you care about me so much?" She whispered at him. "We've only talked once, and it was just me being rude to you. I don't understand." She shook her head.

"I would like to know too, but I just don't. I barely know anything about you besides the fact that your name is Charlotte Caverly. But just by looking at you, I feel like I have known you for years. There's something special about you, Lottie. And I really want to figure out what that is."

Charlotte looked down and fiddled with her fingers.

"I've been nothing but rude."

"More like nothing but honest."

"Rude."

"Honest."

"Rude."

"Honest."

"Rude."

"Honest." Luke sighed. "You've been honest, Lottie."

Charlotte smiled softly but it soon faded.

"This is strange." She whispered. "Having this weird connection with someone you just met." Luke laughed lightly, nodding along with her words.

"I can agree," he started. "But it's exciting." Charlotte nodded. Smiling, she looked into his eyes. And he smiled back.

"Jane." She whispered at him. He gave a confused expression. She smiled and held her hand out for him to shake.

"Charlotte Jane Caverly."

He took her hand.

"Lucas Robert Hemmings."

****

an:

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. okay I'm done <-- cx anywho, thank you so much again for all the reads. since i can't sleep, i decided to update for you all(:

please don't forget to comment, vote, and continue reading! ily all too much.

lots of love,

xx - m.