Chapter 21 - The Darkness Waiting

Start from the beginning

Whatever was going on, at least she would have the Doctor on her side.

"All right. I suppose I should find the Doctor, see which one I'm with now," she decided. "And maybe I can ask him what happened to my room." Shutting off her light, she headed out into the hallway, grateful when she recognized the hallway as the one leading to the console room. 

The room was empty when she got there, and she hummed curiously. Glancing over at the console, she asked, "I'm guessing the Doctor isn't here at all, then?"

A red light flashed from one of the bulbs and she nodded. "Red's usually negative, so I'm gonna take that as a no. Wonder where he's at." She chewed on her bottom lip thoughtfully. "And I can't just go after him. I have no idea if this planet is safe for humans or not. Not to mention I could get lost, and he might just leave without ever knowing I was even here." She sighed and flopped down on one of the seats, glancing aimlessly around the room. She paused, noticing something new on the floor by the wall, and leaned over to take a closer look.

There were two sets of what looked almost a stand to hold wheels in place. She frowned, trying to remember an episode something like that might have been featured in, but came up blank. The door opened behind her, and she turned to see two people absolutely soaked to the bone come stumbling in, laughing so hard they were almost tripping over each other. They both looked absolutely delighted when they saw her.

"Lyssa!" the Tenth Doctor exclaimed, heading her way with arms open wide for a hug.

She scrambled away from him to the other side of the console, holding her hands up protectively. "Don't even think about it," she warned him with narrowed eyes. "You're all wet, and I've literally only just dried myself off. I have no desire to get wet again so soon. And that goes for you too, Tyler," she added, swinging around to face the blonde that had been trying to sneak up on her, backing up towards the stairs. "I mean it! You two look like drowned rats, and that's not the look I was going for today."

"Aw, you're no fun," Rose pouted, adopting a hangdog look. "Just because the Doctor upset the Shrieking Fishes of Lamodix and they may have tried to drown us is no reason to push us away."

"Yeah!" the Doctor objected, coming to join Rose, a mock pout of his own appearing. "Though, it didn't exactly work very well. They marched us into the drowning pool, but it was only waist deep. Not a very efficient method, I have to say, but maybe their only criminals before now have all been veeeery short people. Or, possibly, tall people who trip and can't swim. And maybe the cat people of Sharazidan." 

He grimaced. "They react explosively to water, and I mean that literally." He paused, cheering up. "But! The drowning didn't work, we escaped, and now Rose may or may not be engaged to one of the nobles. Still not sure how that one works, considering they tried to execute us." He frowned.

Rose shrugged. "I thought he was sweet. Once, you know, you look past the drownin', and all that."

Lyssa took the opportunity to back up closer to the stairs. "Well, how about you go dry off, and then we can have a nice talk, yeah?" she suggested. "You can have..." She pretended to think. "Five minutes to get changed, or I'll leave without you. No idea where we'll go, but we'll go somewhere!"

"Oh, will you?" the Doctor challenged her, glancing down at her necklace before giving her a smirk. "You're too early," he told her. "You don't know how to fly her yet."

"No," she admitted. "Buuut you've just confirmed that I will know how to do that in the future," she grinned triumphantly. "Plus, I'm pretty sure that the TARDIS likes me, so she'll probably take me anywhere if I ask her nicely enough."