And just like that, apparently we were going to be going to her New Years party.

_______________

"We could just stay home." I tell Aiden as I strap on my heels. "What if it's like last time?"

"Nothing is going to happen." He assures me.

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because while you were working so was I."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Now I'm on edge for a different reason.

"Brianna was able to do a location spell. As of this morning, he is miles away. Like on another continent away. Relax, have fun. You deserve it. We will deal with everything next year."

"Next year is only a few hours away." I remind him.

"Minor detail." He stands in front of me and gently pushes my hair from my shoulders, kissing my neck before my lips. "Besides, I won't let anything happen to you."

"It's not me I'm worried about." I admit.

Last encounter David had thrown him across the yard like he was nothing, what else could, or would they do to each other?

"Your friends aren't that bad, surely?" He smiles and if the cab hadn't just beeped outside, we'd be getting to the party late.

"You'd be surprised." I tell him as we head outside.

Nothing Hannah does is ever simple. Her double story townhouse has been transformed into a glowing wonderland with more fairy lights strung up around the place than the whole of the country. A DJ had been set up in the living room and caterers walked around offering trays of food of all kinds.

She was dazzling in a sequined minidress and Steven loyally kept by her side, smiling and nodding at people he clearly didn't know. When they saw us, his face lit up with recognition though he was clearly hesitant about Aiden.

"You came!" Hannah grins triumphantly, her voice already that little bit higher than usual as she'd clearly been hitting the champagne. "Gwen's in the kitchen!"

We head that way and it takes me a minute to spot her as her hair has changed again. She doesn't hide her surprise at seeing Aiden either, but it doesn't stop her from coming over.

"Finally, people I know!" She sighs, looking around. "I didn't think it would be like this. She made it sound like a small little gathering."

"This is for her. Last year it was a circus theme in an outdoor tent." The look on her face tells me she isn't sure if what i'm saying is true. "I like the pink!"

Gone is the blue, and in its place is a soft pastel pink. Instantly she touches it, running her fingers through the shortened hair.

"Thanks, I was done with the blue." She smiles, before frowning as she leans in closer to me. "You smell, different. Actually, something about all of you seems different."

"Long story."

"And are you a part of the story?" She asks Aiden, a little too seriously.

"Yes." He answers simply.

She doesn't know what to say to that. "Oh."

"I'm surprised you came. We haven't spent a New Years together in a long time!" We grab a drink and settle in a corner away from other drunken guests who seem to make their mission to bump into us.

"The danger has gone, and since I'm already here I figured I may as well!" She smiles. "Despite, everything, it's been good seeing you again."

"Agreed!" We clink our glasses and despite this setup perfect for Aiden turning into a third wheel, he manages to easily slip into our conversation.