I chuckled in reply. "As you should."

She shrugged. "Once the Little Doll, looses her charm and Mr. Samil won't want me around, I'll take those bears with me."

I sat down on the trailer steps. "I like it."

"Me too. Me too."

We remained sitting, staring out into the orange sky. "Do you think the next crowd will be nice?" I whispered.

Dandra shrugged, "They're all terrible. Nothing seems too warm and fuzzy these days."

I curled the side of my mouth. "I suppose."

She placed her hand on top of mine. "He's coming here," She whispered. "Be careful."

The ring leader stood above us, one leg brought up against my step. He leaned down on his knee, his breath too close for comfort. "Ride with me," He demanded. I stood up.

"Yes Samil."

~*~

I sat at the edge of his mattress, the rough fur blanket scratched my thighs.

"We shouldn't be too far away from the next audience," He stated, as he tried to balance with the moving vehicle. "But at this rate if Manuel doesn't drive slower we'll die before then."

I forced a giggle. He smiled in satisfaction, sitting down beside me.

"Do you think the next place will be nice?" I asked.

He laughed a deep roar. "Nice? Darling, who cares!"

My shoulders slumped forward. His hands lifted my chin up in response.

"Song bird, it doesn't matter what the towns are like...as long as you keep singing and please the customers, we will always have a roof over our heads and food on our plates."

"I understand."

He squeezed my thigh too tightly. "And maybe, if you're extra good I'll find you something special?"

I weakly smiled. "You're too sweet, but I don't want you to trade anything to get something for me."

He pressed his lips against my neck. "I like how little you need - but don't fret darling, I didn't say I'd trade anything." He chuckled.

"Don't steal."

The ring leader pulled away. His hands tight around my wrist. "You don't want my gifts?"

I squirmed against him. "I appreciate what you do g-"

"Darling, I know. But sometimes it doesn't seem like it."

"I'm sorry..."

"I don't want you to say you're sorry. I just want to feel like you're truly grateful for what I have given you."

I nodded nervously. "I am, Samil."

He frowned, his hand grabbing my face. "Are you? Because I have done so much for you. Do you remember?"

"I do."

"I picked you up from the street, you were so cold. So young. So alone. But I could tell that you were worth so much. I just couldn't imagine how your life must have been like before the nukes hit. You seemed so broken. But when you sing, oh my song bird it was magical, I knew you were special. I knew you were mine. I'd do anything for you."

His dark eyes looked into me, black make up still stained his lips. I watched as his jaw clenched impatiently waiting for me to respond. I took a deep breath as a rehearsed smile spread across my face - the one he loved. He sighed in relief, bringing my stiff body close to him. I shook. Whether or not it was from the potholes or his touch, I did not know.

"Darling, take these off." He tugged at my trousers.

I tugged back. "Maybe later?"

His soft face grew stern, but he quickly tried to recover. "Darling...'

I shook my head. "Later? Please?"

A sharp pain stung my cheeks. My sight fogged with tears. Suddenly the hand that struck me was around my throat. "I won't say it again."

I whimpered as my hands found my front button. Samil let my neck free to let his hands find their way to my hips. With a quick thrust he threw me against his bed.

Thankfully, the vehicle slowed to a stop. Samil groaned in frustration, pressed his lips against mine and stood up. "Another time then, darling...You can leave now."

I did.

~*~

The ground in this area was much softer than the last few. The air felt lighter as well. I stared out into what appeared to be an old town. It's building smaller than most I had seen, some windows were boarded with wood paneled doors where glass used to be, people were lively and walked along the streets. From afar appeared to be small fields of stalks. I grinned at the thought of seeing fresh corn.

"Nightingale!" Samil's driver called out to me. "Sam is asking for you."

With a sigh I made my way around the trailer to where Samil stood with Invidia. Her arms were sternly placed on her hips, her mouth tucked in a hard line.

"Darling," Samil called. Invidia's eyes rolled. "Invidia here had a great idea. She wanted me to promote the featured acts tonight to the crowds in town."

"Just my featured act - " Invidia interrupted.

Samil growled under his breath. "Won't you wear your best dress and come along?"

I rubbed my bare feet together. "Whatever you need, Samil."

"That's my girl." He smiled, forcing his lips on top of mine. With a slight twist he turned my body, and I didn't see but I understood his movement. His lips against mine for Invidia to see.