Hagrid's Visit: Year 3

Start from the beginning

When six o'clock arrived, all three of them grabbed their cloaks, ran past the security trolls, and raced down to the entrance hall. Hagrid was already there waiting.

"All right, Hagrid! S'pose you want to hear about Saturday night, do you?" Ron grinned, almost dancing toward him.

"I've already heard all abou' it," Hagrid replied lightheartedly, opening the doors and leading the way to his cabin.

"Oh," Ron sounded slightly sad at the news and Amisty had to cough rather excessively to keep her snort inaudible.

When they reached Hagrid's cabin the first thing Amisty's gaze went to was Buckbeak. The beautiful hippogriff was lying on top of a quilt, wings folded right up to his body, and he was digging into a large plate of dead ferrets.

There was also a very unflattering brown suit and yellow-and-orange checked tie hanging from his wardrobe door.

"What are they for, Hagrid?" Harry asked, pointing over at the clothes.

Amisty dropped down beside Buckbeak's 'bed' after bowing and waiting for him to dip his head. She wasn't an idiot and didn't really fancy getting her arm slashed.

"Buckbeak's case against the Committee fer the Disposal o' Dangerous Creatures. This Friday. Him an' me'll be goin' down ter London together. I've booked two beds on the Knight Bus..." Hagrid replied.

Amisty glanced up, tapping her fingertips together awkwardly as matching looks of alarm flashed over Ron and Harry's faces.

She stroked the top of Buckbeak's head gently, looking up with a jump as Hagrid handed her a cup of tea.

"Yeh don' 'ave teh hear this but I would'a felt bad if I hadn' invited yeh as well," He whispered to her, pressing the cup into her hands with a small smile as Harry and Ron got comfortable at the table.

"I got somethin' ter discuss with you two," Hagrid announced, sitting between Harry and Ron.

Amisty pretended not to be listening, continuing on her petting of Buckbeak.

"What?" Harry asked, confused.

"Hermione," Hagrid replied simply.

"What about her?" Ron asked sharply.

"She's in a righ' state, that's what. She's bin comin' down ter visit me a lot since Chris'mas. Bin feelin' lonely. Firs' yeh weren' talking to her because o' the Firebolt, now yer not talkin' to her because her cat -- " Hagrid started.

" -- ate Scabbers!" Ron cut in, furious.

"Because her cat acted like all cats do. She's cried a fair few times, yeh know. Goin' through a rough time at the moment. Bitten off more'n she can chew, if yeh as me, all the work she's tryin' ter do. Still found time ter help me with Buckbeak's case, mind. She's found some really good stuff fer me... reckon he'll stand a good chance now..." Hagrid replied, continuing as if Ron hadn't interrupted.

Amisty shifted awkwardly, pretending not to be acting as if she were right for the whole time.

"Hagrid, we should've helped as well -- sorry -- " Harry started, scratching the back of his neck.

There was a flush of red staining the tops of his ears and cheeks.

"I'm not blamin' eh! Gawd knows yeh've had enough ter be gettin' on ith. I've seen yeh practicin' Quidditch ev'ry hour o' the day an' night -- but I gotta tell yeh, I thought you two'd value yer friend more'n broomsticks or rats. Tha's all," Hagrid waved Harry's apology away.