Chapter Two

"Hot chicks at three o'clock," Grant said, interrupting the silence between us.

"Dude, now is really not the time to be looking for a girlfriend," I snapped.

He continued as if I hadn't said anything. "Not only are they hot, but they're also our targets."

My head shot up. "Where?" I asked, looking around.

Grant gestured to the area in front of us. "Right there."

I stared ahead and saw two teenage girls looking our way. Wow, she really looks a lot like her father.

"Oooh," Grant's target admired, me reading her lips. She gaped at us. "I want one."

"They're not puppies," my subject argued.

"Come on." Rebecca tried to drag her friend towards us. "Let's go talk to them. They're really cute."

But Cameron didn't move. She started to argue with Rebecca. "No, Bex. Talking to civilian boys during a CoveOps exercise is a bad idea. Trust me."

If only you knew.

Cameron added a singsong lift to her voice. "It's all fun and games until somebody gets their memory erased."

"Bex" said something that made Cameron turn around and start to walk. Bex caught up with her, but then they both stopped and stared into the crowd. A tail.

Over the next hour, the girls used almost every countersurveillance tactic ever created by man. In one entrance and out another. Up the escalator and down the elevator. Looking in mirrors and windows, dropping pocket litter, tying shoelaces. They had lost the woman, but not us. I wondered if they had even figured out that the reason we were here was to tail them.

Then they stopped. Cameron said something into her comms unit, then cringed.

Good work, I silently complimented my classmates. If Cameron didn't get a response from her friends, then that meant Blackthorne Boys had eliminated the Gallagher Girls and disabled their comms units.

The two teenage spies exchanged a worried glance. Then they noticed a CIA operative and dove into a crowd of girls. The two groups of girls were nearly identical from the waist up, which made it hard to tell who was who.

I looked at Grant. "Let's do this," he said, and we stepped behind the fairly large cluster of girls.

Then the group noticed us.

"Are they back there?" one girl asked her friend.

"They are so following us!" another said.

By "they," I assumed the girls meant us. One girl turned around and glanced at me. I gave her a flirty smile and she just about melted.

"These two hot guys have been totally checking us out," she explained to Bex and Cameron.

"Oh," Bex said, and she and Cameron checked behind them. They noticed us, but their eyes focused on a man dressed as a navy lieutenant. Another tail. Then a train pulled into the station we were in. "Let's run and get it!" Bex yelled, and the group of girls (excluding our targets) and the navy officer guy jumped onto the train. Cameron and Bex started walking towards the Metro exit.

"I have to admit, that was a very smooth trick they pulled," I said to Grant, who nodded, never taking his eyes off of the two girls.

"They're splitting up," Grant noticed.

"Thank you for stating the unmistakeable, Captain Obvious. I guess this means we split up."

"That's apparent, too. Go get that girl."

"Good luck," I replied. "I heard that Rebecca Baxter is really good at picking out tails."

We did our signature fist bump and walked to our missions, alone.