Chapter 35: The One With Willow's Question

Start from the beginning

"You're so sweet, Willow. Thank you," I open my arms to invite her in for a hug which she happily accepts. She crawls onto my lap and very softy wraps her arms around my neck and gives me the best hug. I kiss her forehead and reveal in the bliss of having both of my children on my lap. "I love you."

"I love you too, mama, but can we eat now?"

"Of course," I say, patting her little booty so she'll climb down and get back in her own chair.

Peeta brought the last of the food over and set it in the middle of the table. He makes sure Willow and I have everything we need, including something to drink, before he joins us at the table. I help Willow get her food before serving myself some. Peeta waits for my reaction to his cooking before he digs in also.

"Where do babies come from?" Willow suddenly asks in the middle of dinner, shoving a spoonful of soup in her mouth.

I look wide-eyed at Peeta who chokes on the drink he just took a sip of. He erupts into a coughing fit and uses the back of his hand to wipe off the trail of milk dribbling out the corner of his mouth.

"Katniss, can you take this one?" he says between coughs.

"What?" I exclaim, my eyes growing even wider. "Why me?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

I shake my head.

"You have all the same... I don't know, parts?" He mutters.

I look at the head of the table where Willow sits, oblivious to our conversation or just choosing to ignore it, and clear my throat.

"Willow, sweetie," I start.

"Yes, mama?"

"Why do you want to know where babies come from?"

"Because I think we should get one."

Peeta shoots me a smirk and I give him a glare right back because I don't know if we should tell her just yet.

"You do?" Peeta asks.

"Yeah," she nods, continuing to pick at her dinner. "My friend Violet at school is getting one. Her told me at school that her is getting a sister and so I want one too."

"You want one because your friend is getting one?" I ask.

"Yes, but no. I want one because I think they're cute and cuddly, a-and I could teach her how to paint and color like daddy and me," she drags out her words, kicking her feet excitedly under the chair.

"Yeah?" Peeta asks her, looking at me.

"Mhmm. We should get one, don't you think, mama?"

"What about daddy? Don't you think he should want one too?" Peeta asks.

"Well yes, but daddy, Violet said that her baby sister is in her mommy's belly so mama has to want it. Not you."

I throw my head back in laughter, finding my daughter's quick-witted humor hilarious.

"And what if you get a baby brother instead of a sister?" Peeta asks her after sending me a look of disapproval.

"I won't because we get to pick," Willow tells him, shrugging her shoulders and feeding herself another mouthful of soup.

"That's not quite how—"

"Will ya look at that," I interrupt Peeta, laughing nervously. He immediately stops mid-sentence and looks at me confused. "My bowl is empty and I'm on my last cheese bun."

I look at Peeta with wide eyes hoping he gets the hint. Willow dropped the conversation about where babies come. All she wanted to know about babies was if we could get one. I don't want to have the conversation about how they come into existence until it's completely necessary.