10 - The Burn Out

Start from the beginning

"No, that is all" he cheekily grinned at her.

She shot him a curious look before turning around and went on to her class. Little did she know that someone not far was witnessing their exchange.

-------------------------------------------

Christmas was fast approaching but the 7th year students were not as excited, they were stressed. The professors announced that before the Christmas Vacation will begin, they will have to take a mock exam in preparation for the N.E.W.T.S. and although it isn't the real exam, it still shouldn't be taken lightly. So, the students were studying and preparing day after day.

It was a week before their mock exams and Serena was drowning herself in books. She usually enjoys being drowned in the said items, but she does not enjoy it when stress was involved.

Every free time she has, she spends it in the library. She even skipped some meals, which is a rare thing for her to do, just because of her anxiety to do well in the exams.

She hasn't spent much time with her two friends, and even with Tristan since she didn't want to get distracted. But one day her friends sought her out and of course, found her in the library.

"Have you been studying here since this morning?" Blaise asked as the two took their seats in front of her.

"Of course I have and if you care for your future, you should be too" she replied without looking at them.

"We do care about our future. Just not much in the mock exams, or the N.E.W.T.S. really" said Draco.

Serena now looked up at him with a bewildered expression. "You've got to be kidding right? The N.E.W.T.S. might as well be the most important exam we will take! The results will shape or determine our future!"

"Ssshh!" The librarian hushed her.

"Yes hush hush Serena, you don't have to scold us like a parent"

"Blaise is right Collins and we already know what happens to our future. I didn't come back here to take the exams, which you already knew. After this, I'm going to have to manage the Malfoy business and turn it into something better"

"Pansy and I are planning to start our own business as well. The funds left by my parents will help us start" Blaise saw the confusion in Serena's face so he continued, "my parents died in the war serving for their great dark lord"

"Oh I'm sorry.."

"Don't.." He interrupted her. "... It's what they get for choosing to be at the wrong side"

Serena simply nodded, not knowing what else to say to Blaise. She realized that behind these light-hearted, fun facade these two boys in front of her have, growing up wasn't light or fun. So she went back to the topic of her studying not wanting to dwell on negativity. "Well unlike you two, I don't have a family fortune so I need to do well"

"What do you want to do after graduating?" Asked Draco.

"I actually plan to become a healer"

"Really?" The two said in unison

"Is it that surprising?"