Chapter 8

Val crouched beside the others on the roof of the building above what she knew was a top secret base of Enigma Enterprises. This was the one that procured the living sections of brain to fuel their experiments, and it looked like a hospital.

      "So what was the plan, exactly?" she glared over at Jaden, who leaned forward to look at the security guards beneath them.

      "We're going to save all the people in that hospital," he replied. "Which means we're gonna blast it to hell. Flare, you're on explosives. Krone, your job is to sneak in the back while we fight our way through and steal the main boss computer. Flare can hack it at a later date. Fleck shall guard you just in case."

       Val's eyes narrowed, "And what shall Krell and I be doing while this happens?"

       "Krell will be inside clearing innocents out. You, on the other hand, will come with me to protect Flare as she entered the building to set up the explosives. Once the innocent people are gone, we'll blow the place sky high."

      Val slicked hair back from her face, "We'll see."

       "Krone, Fleck: go ahead. We're about to start," Jaden waved them off, and they vaulted off of the roof, disappearing into the night. Jaden dropped down outside of the door, leading Flare and Val inside.

      There were only two people on the inside- a man at the desk shuffling through files and a teenaged boy crying quietly in the corner, clutching at his head as if it really hurt him.

      Jaden sauntered up to the desk as if he was just coming into the murder hospital for a typical checkup, and he leaned his elbow onto the desk, "Hey, man."

      The man at the desk didn't bother looking up, "Welcome to the Derek Hospital sponsored by Enigma Enterprises, how can I help you?" His tone was completely flat, expressing as much interest as the bored expression on his face as he continued typing without looking up.

      "Well," Jaden picked up the coffee cup on the desk and took a long sip, "I'm here to turn this place to charred ashes and broken dreams, and I was wondering where the best room to plant the explosives would be."

      The man looked up sharply, and recognition flashed in his eyes. His hand shot towards the phone on the desk, but Jaden popped the top of the coffee cup and dashed the scorching hot contents over the man's shirt. He shrieked, leaping to his feet as his skin blistered beneath the dark brown stain on his white shirt.

       "Ice cubes were meant for a reason," Jaden told him, his eyes slipping to Krell who was urging the sobbing boy in the corner to leave quickly.

      "Bastard!!" The man hurled a stack of papers at him, using the distraction to grab for the phone. Val moved instantly, and the man's hand fell to the floor. He opened his mouth to scream as he saw dark scarlet explode from his wrist, but the knife in her wrist sliced through his throat before the sound escaped. Blood bubbled in his mouth, and the man collapsed.

        Jaden blinked, "Girl, that's harsh, even for us."

      Val sheathed the knife into her wrist, snorting, "He kills people for a living. He deserved to die painfully."

       Krell rushed past them to go check the other rooms as the three of them strode back down the hall to find the center of the building. A nurse leapt out of one room, her gun drawn and ready to fire. Jaden smashed a fist into her skull as they breezed past.

      A bullet exploded the wall next to them, and Flare crouched down. She had enough explosions inside of the bag on her shoulder to level the entire building— it was best if she stayed out of the gunfire.