Chapter 2

Chapter 2: three weeks into past

      Valencia 704 was a weapon, or so she began to realize. She had been dressed in a form fitting black armor far from bulky, lightweight and relatively comfortable. She was escorted down the hall of the clean, white facility.

     Her brain calculated everything, every opening, every word, and every movement, and all that surrounded her. Her narrow eyes flicked around purposefully, memorizing every detail of the path they were taking.

      She was escorted by two men, each wearing similar white lab coats. One was taller than her with a wispy goatee and a round, bald head. The second was younger, blond and broad shouldered, carrying himself with a confident air.

       Something flicked in her vision, and she let a red film slide over her left eye. She found she could suddenly see through the wall, seeing heat readings and objects on the other side of the walls. She looked back to the men. Each were sporting weapons in their coats, lying flat and hidden on their waists.

       Suspicion made her edgy, and her fingers curled into her palm, forming a fist. She would fight if she had to.

      But the men led her down into a room with dark black carpet, glass walls, and the woman, Loraine Crewel, standing at the far side. The men opened the doors, allowing Valencia to walk in. Still tense, she did. She made sure the red lens had slid out of her vision before facing the woman.

       "You're brain is only partly a reality," Crewel said as Valencia 704 stood in front of her, mimicking the scientist's position by folding her hands behind her back, "The rest is made with circuits. As such, we are able to download files into you like we would to a computer. Sit in the chair, please." Her hands gestured to the chair sitting in the corner.

       It was reclined slightly, with the shape and appearance of a dentist chair. Wires were hooked up to the back, thick cables, others thin cords.

       Valencia eased herself into the chair stiffly, trying to maneuver her body into the sitting position required for the chair. She leaned slowly back into the head rest, and Crewel approached.

        The robot felt a hatch at the back of her neck open up, and stiffened as a thick cord was inserted into a plug on her silver spine. Her body shuddered, and she gave herself a shake.

      Crewel opened up a laptop onto the table nearby, "I am downloading the entire contents of this computer into your memory chip. It will feel like a rush, but just relax. Everything here was designed for your mission, and will be crucial to either common knowledge or your purpose."

       Valencia heard the tapping of her long fingernails on the keyboard, and a deep sigh escaped her lips. She licked the corners of her mouth, feeling her tongue slide across the soft skin, moistening it. This was a curious feeling, to feel in general. To have gone from nothing to something in a nanosecond.

      "Download initiated in three... two... one." A long fingernail pressed a key, and Valencia's body jerked violently. Her mind was thrown far away, spectating a round orb stained white and green over blue. Earth. Then it zoomed in at a million miles an hour, rushing through streets and houses and computers, flashing through hard drives and circuits.

       Valencia's eyes flew open, and she gasped for breath, nearly falling from the chair. Panting with exertion as her eyelids fluttered wildly, she gripped the sides of the chair. The metal bent beneath her grip, and she tilted her head back to look at Crewel.

     The scientist stared back at her with cold eyes, "What's the capital of Nigeria?"

       "Abuja."