He had already decided that “Remedial Potions” with Snape didn’t count.  Apart from Snape’s crappy teaching method, it was obvious that Snape had no intention of helping him learn Occlumency or Legilimens in the first place. 

The traitor. 

Harry pushed away thoughts of Snape and concentrated on Hermione who was so much more… well, promising to think about.  The last few nights with her had been one revelation after another.  Sometimes the revelations hurt him, sometimes the revelations were shocking, often she was confusing, but sometimes, he was just with her, was aware and thankful of her nearness, and those times made up for many things he’d had to contend with since her return.

Many things about her had changed, of that he was certain, but the foundation of her personality remained.  She cared for people, and she defended them when they were being threatened.  She could be rational and cold, but she was passionate, too, when the need arose.  She was brilliant, and she read books, and she knew everything. 

Well, almost everything.  She can’t seem to figure out what to do about me. 

Which, in a way, was something positive, because it meant she cared.  She just had to figure out how much. 

Of course, it was driving him up the wall that she was taking her time about it… and it has barely been a week. 

Blowing a breath through his lips, he decided to put off thinking about it for the meantime.  He readied for work and apparated to the Ministry phone box. 

The box let off a stream of wizards and witches just before he got on it and he was quite put off when he saw Draco, yet again. 

Draco gave only the slightest twitch to indicate that he had noticed Harry at all.  Harry didn’t even give him a second glance, both acutely conscious about being seen “fraternizing” with each other.  Neither of them wanted anyone thinking that they were in any way friends, even if quite a few people knew Draco was living in Harry’s house. 

They passed each other like strangers. 

Harry was too early to be at work, but Shaklebolt made no fuss about it.  He did, however, call Harry to his office for something else. 

“I received some of the files you requested for the investigation of the train attack,” said Shacklebolt, handing him a thick pile in a box. 

Harry already felt weary with the workload, but he didn’t complain.  He did, however, make a rather acute observation.  “Some?  You mean that’s not all of it?”

Shacklebolt nodded.  “Not by a long shot, and it’s taking long because you requested secrecy.  This is internal affairs stuff, Potter.  It’s no easy thing to creep around without anyone noticing.”

“Understood, chief.”

“I’ll send the rest of the files straight to you the moment they get here.”

“I appreciate it.”  Harry was just gathering his loot when he noticed that Shacklebolt didn’t look like he was through.  “Something else…?”

“Tonks told me Dumbledore’s phoenix has taken up residence with you.”

Harry frowned.  “And so?”

“Phoenixes don’t make random decisions, Potter.”

Harry sighed and turned to leave the office.  “When I learn how to speak Phoenix, I’ll have a heart to heart with it.  In the meantime, everyone’s questions have to wait.”

“I think it chose you.”

“Oh, Merlin, not you too.  And I was counting on you to be the one to tell everyone that the bird’s bloomin’ daft!”