Chapter 21: Learn

Start from the beginning

Ron gave a non-committal sound.  “I don’t know.  Is it?”

“Maybe… we sorter…” Harry paused then glared at Ron.  “Okay, this is really something I’m telling you in confidence.  You don’t get to use this to taunt, hit or mock me with, alright?”

“Stop ragging me about Gabrielle.”

“Deal.  Okay… Hermione and I fooled around last night.”

“Fantastic,” said Ron, unenthusiastically. 

“Yeah, it was, actually.  She put a stop to it, but… well, she was saying no, but her kiss said yes.”

“That’s the defense used by date-rapists.”

Harry shot him a sardonic grimace.  “You know what I mean.  I think she still has feelings for me.”

“Have you told her about your women?”

“Wha—they’re not my women, Ron!  And yes, I’ve told her about those.  Told her about Cho Chang, too.”

“Was she jealous?”

“M-Maybe…”

“Well, there you go!  All you have to do is make her even more jealous.  You ought to bust out that black book of yours and floo some birds.  Maybe you should have an illegitimate child handy to really drill it in.”

“First of all, I have no black book; secondly, I sincerely hope you’re joking about me having an illegitimate child.  I know nothing about this child you’re talking about; and thirdly, especially if you’re just making up that bit about the illegitimate-child, you have no soul for suggesting something like that.  This isn’t a game, Ron.  I’m seriously trying to get her back.  Please… no more boneheaded advice.  And it isn’t like I’m going to cook up some kind of sinister plan.  It’s nothing like that.  I suppose there’s going to be a lot of talking involved when she’s not beating the crap out of me in training.  I just don’t want to do the wrong thing, you know?”

“Maybe you should talk to Lucien and Solomon about that.”

“I just said no boneheaded advice.  What the hell is wrong with you?”

Ron rolled his eyes in disgust.  “Nothing is wrong with me, and I’m serious.  She’d spent the last four or five years with these blokes.  A lot has happened in those years.  Maybe understanding what she’d been like those five years from their point of view would help things a little.  I’m just saying.”

“Fine.  That makes sense, which is strange coming from you.”

“No appreciation at all…”

“I’ll take your wonderful, inspired and purrr-fect advice and talk to Lucien and Solomon.  There, appreciated it enough for you?”

Ron shot him a grudging smile.  “I’m all tingly.”

“Good.  I think I ought to throw in the traditional chocolates and roses…”

“Oh, Harry, you’re sweet, but no thank you.”

“For Hermione, idiot.  Now I just need an occasion.”

“Halloween’s coming up.”

Harry shook his head.  “Might be too far off.”

“How about the general meeting of the Order?  That’s in a couple of weeks.”

It might be an odd time to romance her, but Harry figured sooner was better than later.  “That’ll do.”

Ron made a face.  “I was kidding.”