Chapter 2:

Disclaimer: Rick and Meyer own everything but Lily and Epiales. He is my own creation derived from mythology.

**********

I should have known something was wrong when Bella came home last night. 

After waking up from my nap and wondering what century I was in, I tried to work on the gods-forsaken essay that I just, could not complete. 

I had gone downstairs to make food for dinner and distract myself when Bella came home, just shy of 8 p.m.

That should have been the first clue. She was never home these days until just before her curfew at midnight.

Second, when I totally was not at all spying on her in the bathroom, I noticed she had to reapply a bandage over some new stitches on her arm.

Thirdly, Copperhead didn't come home with her last night.

Now, no matter how much I hate it, Dick normally spends the nights with Bella, doing I don't even know what cause he doesn't sleep. But that didn't happen. 

Now, fourth clue. It was perfectly cloudy and rainy, but the Cullens didn't show up for school today.

I saw Bella sitting alone, looking downtrodden, at their table and went over to her. I had tried to get her to tell me what had happened last night and this morning, but she wouldn't budge. 

But now it all came rushing out.

Bella had cut her finger while opening a present and Jasper had been unable to control himself and tried to attack her.

Evidently, that stupid dumbass had then overreacted and caused an even bigger mess by sending Bella flying into a glass table. Not that Bella could understand that, apparently. 

I drove us home as Bella continued to wallow in self-pity. Pulling up to the drive, I saw Dick standing alone in a black suit. He looked as if he was in mourning. Did somebody die?

"Hey, what the hell asshole? You have the audacity to show up after the bullshot you pulled last night? Did somebody die? Did Jasper kill somebody after he went off the rails? Why do you look like you're going to a funeral?" 

I had marched up to him and was practically in his face by this point. 

"Lily, no stop!" Bella tried to pull me back and got in front of me.

"Jasper didn't kill anybody. Emmett and Rosalie took him out to hunt last night and he was fine after."

"Then why the hell does he look like he is in mourning?"

Dick continued to glare at me as if he wanted nothing more than for the earth to swallow me whole. 

"Please just go inside. I'm sure he'll have an explanation for everything."

As if.

I went inside as Bella shooed me away and watched as they went into the woods. 

Not suspicious at all.

I felt a presence behind me and turned to counter what had to be an attack before all I saw was a blur, and I felt a sharp pain in the back of my head as everything went black. 

*******

Manhattan, New York, 2 months ago.

*******

Nico, Will, and I were walking out of the theatre, laughing about the movie we had just seen and its horrible depiction of werewolves.