11. Expectation

Namjoon blinked rapidly as recognition flashed across his features. The girl standing before him was Hong Ah Ra, Ji Ah’s teenage sister. She had been a little over ten years old when he had last seen her, vaguely recalling babysitting her along with Ji Ah in the initial stages of their relationship.

“Hong Ah Ra? I can’t believe it’s really you!” The rapper smiled, his fond memories of the girl stirring an inherent affection within him. “How have you been?” He gestured for Ji Ah’s sibling to take a seat, which she did as she dumped her backpack on the table and plunked into the chair opposite him.

Ah Ra returned his smile, shyly brushing stray strands of hair to the side. Where Ji Ah had been feisty and lively, her sister had been calm and the voice of reason even at the young age at which Namjoon had been acquainted with her.

“I’ve been alright, Oppa. I was so surprised when I spotted you sitting here, and for a moment, I wondered if my eyes were tricking me. I mean, it’s been such a long time!” She gave a small laugh and Namjoon chuckled.

“Well, I had some time off so I decided to spend it here,” he explained, his eyes marveling over the uncanny resemblance that Ah Ra now bore to Ji Ah. “What about you? Are you in high school now?”

Ah Ra nodded energetically. “It’s my last year! I’ll be graduating soon.” She bit her lip as she studied Namjoon, wondering if she should broach the topic that was just waiting to roll off her tongue. Ah Ra took a deep breath and decided to dive straight in.

“Are you in touch with Unnie?”

Namjoon glanced at her in surprise, finding it strange that Ji Ah had neglected to inform her sister that they were working together. Or maybe she was instructed not to. Big Hit was always careful with such delicate details and the rapper gathered that to be the reason Ji Ah hadn’t told Ah Ra anything.

“Sort of,” he replied carefully, scrutinizing Ah Ra’s features for signs of anything amiss. But the girl furrowed her brows, leaning forward.

“How is she?” Ji Ah’s sister finally asked. All her earlier energy seemed to have deserted her and Ah Ra’s eyes darted about nervously.

Baffled, Namjoon couldn’t grasp the context of her question. Why would she ask me that? A sinking feeling began to take root and a possible reason solidified in Namjoon’s mind.

“Ah Ra,” he addressed the sensitive girl who seemed to be looking everywhere but at him, “when was the last time you spoke to your sister?”

Ah Ra’s eyes widened at Namjoon’s keen observation. She lowered her head, her eyes clouding with an emotion he couldn’t discern.

“It’s been almost five years.”

Five years? That didn’t make any sense. But Namjoon was uncertain if he should pry any further. He had resolved to stay out of Ji Ah’s business, but the morose expression on Ah Ra’s face had his convictions wavering. But before he could voice a word, she spoke of her own accord.

“I’d always thought of you as family, Oppa,” she began, her words faltering slightly. “Even though I was quite young, I could see that Ji Ah Unnie was happy with you. She could be who she was without having to worry about what you’d think.” Ah Ra finally met Namjoon’s gaze and the rapper reined in the multitude of queries that had formed on his lips.

“Even after you guys broke up, she would tell me how your determination inspired her,” Ah Ra continued, a tinge of sadness lacing her words. “Unnie had always harbored the dream of becoming a videographer. But our parents were against it. They believed that something as fickle as a position in the entertainment industry wouldn’t suit her potential.”