CHAPTER 6 * Keep calm *

XERIS' POV

My thirty-four hours were up. The time flew by much quicker than I would have liked. The dreaded hour was upon me. I walked into my medical bay and saw her, for the first time. I couldn't believe she was the most compatible with me.

I turned to Bulba "Are you sure we match?"

"Yes. Actually, out of all the matches made, you two have the highest compatibility; 92%. Astounding," Bulba spoke like it was the greatest discovery in the universe. That was the first time I ever saw that twinkle in her eye. But it was quickly extinguished.

"Surely other matches have similar percentages?"

"None of the matches have even made it above 60%. In fact, even back on Thanzor, the highest percentage ever recorded was 74. You might as well have found your soul mate."

Soulmate? You must be joking. This coming from Bulba?

"There must have been a glitch in the system. Run it again."

"I assure you, your highness, the systems are running perfectly," she looked insulted.

I looked at my charge. She had dark skin and her hair was a different texture from mine and barely reached her shoulders. I had no qualms about her race as everyone on Thanzor was considered equal. She was overweight and the attire she wore did little to hide this fact. She was wearing similar articles of clothing as Bulba, the only difference being the absence of the inner body mask and sleeves on her outer attire. The colour too was different from Bulba's. It was black, like my own. A sign of difference. A sign of royalty.

Her face was riddled with pimples and I could hear her breathe heavily.

More like snore.

She started breathing quickly, the monitor indicating that her heart rate had increased. Bulba tried to calm her down and then she started thrashing about violently.

Animal.

Soon she was calm and opened her eyes.

I stood a little behind her as I had walked in from my chambers. Wait, now our chambers. She looked around in wonder while I tried to stamp my revulsion for Earthians down. By the time I had put on my blank face, Bulba looked at me. I walked to the foot of the bed and turned to look at her.

She gaped at me like an idiot. Her mouth hung open and her eyes were wide. She realised what she was doing and stared at me. My mask slipped a little and she noticed. I stared at her, daring her to speak, her eyes turned away.

That's right.

But then they turned back and held mine. She was challenging me. I wasn't one to lose easily. Bulba interrupted us and left.

I need to get myself together.

I was trying so hard to follow Purit's advice. But I couldn't stop myself from judging her. All I could think of was how she had no morals. I walked away from her before I voiced my thoughts. In the doorway, I told her to follow me and walked on to the viewing glass. Whether she followed me or stayed in the medical bay really did not matter to me.

I have to think of Thanzor. I have to think of the men. I have to move past this and be the leader I am expected to be.

God give me strength.

"How is this possible?" A voice came from my left.

I hadn't noticed her walk up to me. I thought of a smart retort but held my tongue. That seemed like the safest thing to do. I continued looking at the stars. I turned slightly, so she wouldn't notice, and observed her gazing at the stars.