6

i've been avoiding addressing finn being famous bc i don't want it to affect the relationship a lot, and neither him being in calpurnia or stranger things really fits the story so i'm just gonna keep it vague and say, he's famous but he's not like insanely famous but he's still famous & this will probably come more into play in the next chapter but i thought i'd tell u now

____

"finny!" reylynn shouted once we entered her car. "i haven't seen you in forever!" she reached over and gave him a side hug. "man, ever since-"

finn finished her sentence. "jack and ellie? yeah, i know. it sucks." he pulled the door shut behind him and iris climbed into the backseat of the car.

reylynn gave iris a look, one that said did you tell him? iris nodded.

"that's why i invited you guys. it's shitty having to deal with them. they're all over eachother."

finn nodded. "it's gross."

as iris sat silently in the back seat, she found herself feeling almost jealous about the relationship the two had. she wished she had something like that. stupid. iris thought. there's no way you two could ever be a thing.

"iris!" reylynn yelled, making her jump. "i said, do you want anything to eat?"

iris just shook her head. she was frustrated that these things made her sad. she was supposed to have a fun night tonight, something stupid like that shouldn't stop her.

___

they arrived at the theatre about five minutes later.

iris, kind of unwillingly, shook Jack's hand. "nice to meet you, iris."

"you too, i've heard a lot about you." jack was tiny, shorter than her. he was cute, though, she could see why he was such an apparent ladies man.

"i'm ellie." a voice to her right said. ellie had messy thick hair and bangs that were cut a little diagonal (whoops.) iris had to admit, though, she was really damn pretty. if only iris looked like that, maybe then she'd be enough for finn. (this is iris thinking btw not me! personally i think iris is way prettier) "you're finn's new friend, huh?"

she scoffed. "it's iris. iris apatow."

ellie leaned over to jack, whispering at a volume everyone could hear. "he's got a newer, prettier one every week!"

finn elbowed ellie lightly. "can you just not be a bitch about it? for tonight?"

ellie frowned and blew a piece of her uneven bands out of her face. "whatever."

"she's usually like this, you get used to it." reylynn whispered to iris.

iris groaned. "great."

as the five were walking into the movie, iris found herself pushed up against finn, her head leaning, but not resting, on his shoulder. she loved it, and he didn't seem to mind either. she even caught a little blush out of him.

"is it true?" iris asked. "what ellie said?"

"what?" finn stuttered.

"about you having a new girl every week. is that true? because i-"

"what! no! that's no where close to true! cmon, iris, do i really look like what the ladies would be all over?"

iris raised an eyebrow.

"alright, not the point. ellie is a liar. don't trust her or what she says because it's mostly just made up shit to start drama." finn talked quietly, although the couple was way ahead of us by now.

"why does jack like her, than?" iris asked.

"iris, i wish i knew." he sighed. "i have no idea what he sees in her."

the two sat down in their seats.

___

the movie was pretty lame. it was cheesy and predictable, and me and rey had a hell of a time laughing and making jokes about the characters and the dumb shit they did.

jack and ellie, as expected, couldn't have enough of each other. they were always holding hands, or had their arms around each other, and once iris caught the two making out but she looked away as quick as possible in utter disgust.  she felt bad for reylynn.

as for finn, the two didn't talk much during the movie. they didn't need to, they could tell what the other was thinking. sometimes iris would catch finn just staring at her, smiling like an idiot. she found it hilarious the panic he went into when the two caught eyes. the best part, around the beginning of the movie, finn's hand unconsciously rested on iris's forearm. and as the movie progresses, they both slowly brought their hands together until they were loosely holding hands. neither of them noticed until the movie ended, which only embarrassed them more and made their cheeks explode in color.

"i'm gonna go to the bathroom." iris said as the group was walking out.

she stared at her face in the mirror while she washed her hands. she could see pretty. she could see attractive. she could see all the compliments she ever wanted to see in herself, but she could never see good enough for finn wolfhard.

she dried her hands off and walked out of the dirty bathroom, only to find the hallway empty.

"guys?" she half yelled, a little panicked.

she turned a few corners before coming to a thin hallway, a little hidden, where she could see the shoes of her friends from where she was.

"guys, i-"

iris stopped dead in her tracks to find finn with his lips against none other than reylynn's.

finn pushed reylynn of of him, quickly. "iris-"

but she was already gone. she was running. she couldn't feel anything, her heart shattered. she knew it. she knew she wasn't good enough. she was mad at herself for not realizing what the two had earlier. she knew damn well they had a better relationship than hers with finn.

"iris! i'm sorry!" finn stopped her, and the two found themselves outside the theatre.

"no. you are not pulling this shit on me, wolfhard!" she yelled through sobs. "don't even fucking try."

"iris, it's not like that-"

"not like what, finn? not like what? you kissed her! stop trying to make up excuses like some... like some little kid!"

iris couldn't feel her face.

"yeah, fine. if that's what you want, iris! we kissed! is that what you wanted to hear?"

iris stood still, her eyes wide in shock as they flooded with tears. "what did that mean to you, finn?" her voice softened. "all those compliments, all the flirting. we held hands through that entire movie. don't try to deny it."

"it doesn't mean anything! we were-"

iris's face burned in anger. "so just because i wouldn't kiss you, just because i wanted to take my fucking time, you decide to make up for what i didn't give you with one of my best friends?"

finn didn't say anything.

"ellie was right about you." iris pushed past him. "fuck off, finn wolfhard. and tell your girlfriend to, also."

____

I HATE THIS